Praying Mantis

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had at least a dozen egg cases that I found last winter and had a large population of praying mantis this summer. I found them mating. 1 female and 3 smaller males. She must have had quite a feast after that. They blend in so well they are hard to detect.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The only one I saw on the ground this year, I hit with the lawnmower. My first thought as I came up on it with the mower was "grasshopper" ! A split second later and the mower was over the top of it . . :/

It is probably easier to spot them flying. Once they have settled, a mantis moves so slowly and blends in so well that they are hard to see. But, you have to think twice about what you are seeing when they are on the wing!

If you find yourself thinking, "What the heck is that?! Sure is a Big Bug!" You may have just seen a mantis . . . and might enjoy tracking it down.

I used to work right in the downtown of a medium sized city. I was constantly seeing hawks. They were Sharp-shinned hawks, for the most part. Whenever I'd mention them to anyone, I'd just get a "never seen 'em." No, no! Look! Yes, they almost look like pigeons but look again!

Steve

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
digitS' said:
The only one I saw on the ground this year, I hit with the lawnmower. My first thought as I came up on it with the mower was "grasshopper" ! A split second later and the mower was over the top of it . . :/

It is probably easier to spot them flying. Once they have settled, a mantis moves so slowly and blends in so well that they are hard to see. But, you have to think twice about what you are seeing when they are on the wing!

If you find yourself thinking, "What the heck is that?! Sure is a Big Bug!" You may have just seen a mantis . . . and might enjoy tracking it down.

I used to work right in the downtown of a medium sized city. I was constantly seeing hawks. They were Sharp-shinned hawks, for the most part. Whenever I'd mention them to anyone, I'd just get a "never seen 'em." No, no! Look! Yes, they almost look like pigeons but look again!

Steve
Steve,

They are common here also. Ours keeps the starlings at bay at the suet feeder. I know it is brutal, however, I am sure she has young, and herself. to feed.
Jack

SharpShinnedHawk.jpg

JimWWhite

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
93416435_YhbCT-L.jpg

As Tony Montoya said: "Say Hello to My Little Friend..."

We were cleaning out a couple of boxes in the garden and Teresa jumped and started yelling for me to come over. I thought she'd turned up a snake but this little darling was sitting there. If you look closely in the bottom left corner of the pic there is another bright green object. You may not recognize it but it's a grasshopper that the mantis was probably stalking. Did you know their heads are articulated? When I got close with the camera she pivoted her head in my direction. I had no idea they could do that. Cool. She was quite large. I'd say she was at least four inches long.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is a dog eat . . . Purina, world out there!

When I was a kid - every hawk was a "chicken hawk." I'm glad I got over that.

Did you see the PBS show on the Snowy Owls? Momma Owl was quite concerned about her littlest one. When it didn't even have the strength to stay with the other chicks, she left them so that she could keep the littlest from the Arctic cold. I won't say what happened to the chick after it died but maternal instinct is complex and not without good reason.

And by the way, I can still remember the first starlings I saw. They were invading from the south, I am sure, many years after they had taken over in most other parts of the country. I look very favorably at our predators these days.

Steve

ETA: Jim, that photograph is terrific!

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
digitS' said:
It is a dog eat . . . Purina, world out there!

When I was a kid - every hawk was a "chicken hawk." I'm glad I got over that.

Did you see the PBS show on the Snowy Owls? Momma Owl was quite concerned about her littlest one. When it didn't even have the strength to stay with the other chicks, she left them so that she could keep the littlest from the Arctic cold. I won't say what happened to the chick after it died but maternal instinct is complex and not without good reason.

And by the way, I can still remember the first starlings I saw. They were invading from the south, I am sure, many years after they had taken over in most other parts of the country. I look very favorably at our predators these days.

Steve

ETA: Jim, that photograph is terrific!
I have seen flocks of starlings from horizon to horizon. On the other hand, there are only a few sharp shinned hawks around. It is interesting to watch, as when the hawk is eating, the other starlings go about their business as though nothing has happened. Nature's way I guess.

Jack B.

JPerry

Sprout
Reaction score
Oh my word - I know these are the "good" bugs, but they scare the bejesus out of me! And I heard somewhere that they were protected in some states - you're not supposed to kill them. Anyone else ever heard of that?

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nah, they are not protected by law. I hadn't heard that, so I googled it. That articulated head is sure awesome isn't it? Nothing like suddenly realize a huge mantis is giving you the stink-eye.