Raccoon invasion

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have eaten raccoon before, not too bad, but not so good that I would go hunt them down for a food source.

Something few people know is that male raccoons have an ivory ummm....... uh...... bone in their male part. it is fish hook shaped with a small knob on the end. Old timer trappers sharpened the "root" end and carried them for a toothpick. No, I never used one for a toothpick, but I was given a couple of them years ago.

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'll eat a lot of stuff, but I'll pass on 'coon. I wonder if you killed it in the henhouse would it taste like chicken?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's good to see Bay in a good mood.

Monty, if you cut the raccoon open and leave it where the chickens can get to it, they will enjoy a lot of free protein. Chickens live by the motto, Do lunch or Be lunch. Somehow with raccoons it seems fitting that they chickens are the ones doing lunch. Last time I caught a big rat I did that. It's amazing how well they cleaned it down to the skeleton.

Wishin'

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have eaten raccoon before, not too bad, but not so good that I would go hunt them down for a food source.

Something few people know is that male raccoons have an ivory ummm....... uh...... bone in their male part. it is fish hook shaped with a small knob on the end. Old timer trappers sharpened the "root" end and carried them for a toothpick. No, I never used one for a toothpick, but I was given a couple of them years ago.

O.K I knew about the bone, but using it as A TOOTHPICK!!!!! REALLY??? :sick

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I never thought of that ridge. While I doubt I'll start by throwing the whole thing in there, I'll cut a hunk off of the next one and toss it to them. Thanks for the tip.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I thought that might appeal to you. I've done it a few times, but not with something real big like a raccoon. Mine were a bit shy about investigating, but I just tossed it in, already opened, and left it for a full 24-hour day. When I went to retrieve what was left to get rid of it, it was surprising how little was left, not much meat and no innards.

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'll start by putting a piece in during the morning and taking it back at night. I don't want to risk drawing more predators to the coop by leaving it there. I sometimes wonder what some future archaeologists might think if they ever excavated the hill behind my house where I throw all the bodies. "What the hell happened here?" comes to mind.

Latest posts