Raccoon invasion

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Remembering a story I read about elephants going to the same place at the end of their life, I first thought of a raccoon graveyard where they all go to die.

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Waste not want not the meat is not bad but a little tough you need to soak it in buttermilk for a while. Keeping the pelts is a great idea I haven't processed a pelt before would need some instruction

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
My neighbor recently had a chicken massacre at dusk by a couple of foxes. They are a bit deeper into the woods than we are so they have more trouble. I guess with the dog, some traffic and lots of us outside all the time it keeps them away. I did not think fox would be out until dark.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Foxes have kits. Coyotes, raccoons, bobcats, and skunks for sure can hunt in the middle of the day. Some critters are mostly nocturnal. Mostly does not mean all the time. And of course dogs are always a danger, day or night.

In addition to feeding babies, one real common time for mostly nocturnal critters to roam during the day is after they have been weaned and Mama kicked them out. They are out searching for their own hunting territory as well as looking for food.

Last edited:

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Someone on BYC posted they hang the raccoon from a tree branch. Flies cover the body laying eggs, maggots start crawling around and fall to the ground. All the chickens hangout waiting for maggots to drop, free protein. Kind of gross but body not wasted.