Range Wars. . first blood

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
There are two people living next door. Two adults with adult children that visit often. Someone in the family must be in their right mind. Despite not being on speaking terms with the neighbors, I did give their son, Adam, rides home from school several times when he missed the bus or had to stay after. He seemed to be pleasant and intelligent.

I have had enough.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
The sentence that comes to mind is:
OF COURSE YOU KNOW THIS MEANS WAR.
Just like a fight, there are no winners. Just survivors. I'd tell farmer, you bale it, you will bring it back after ownership of ground is surveyed. Actually, I'd probably not worry about it.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Red, I think what you are saying is that you have tried every peaceful, polite way you can think of to settle this situation. Your neighbors have done nothing but gotten uglier and uglier. It's like they perceive your "turn the other cheek" as weakness. Everyone has their last straw moment and I think you are one alfalfa stalk away.

Your last straw won't be explosive, ugly behavior. I rather think, even when intensively riled up, you will be as cool, calm and polite as you always are, but under the surface, you will be plotting every legal method at your disposal to make their lives unbearable.

It takes an awful lot to make me deeply, deeply angry. But when I get there, I proceed on vendetta mode. Sometimes the meanest thing to do is nothing. Live life and be happy while the other side eats their guts out because they are so miserable. And then.......there are those opportunities to deal them a little more misery.......

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah, if it's not alright in their eyes (or by the sheriff's deputy) for you to be on that strip of land until the thing is settled, then them messing with the hay is not alright either. It should have been left standing, just like the other disputed area was not supposed to be mowed. They need to play by their own rules! Hypocrites.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bay, I am not deeply, deeply angry. That would be wasted emotion on my part. If they honestly said they understood I would accept that and not ask for an appology. It doesn't mean that much to me. I am no longer yelling at them all night in my dreams. No longer trying to get them to understand in my dreams.

I am sleeping well with the Judge's verdict. Not the least angry or upset even at my attorney to whom the Judge disparaged for "ceding" the field to the neighbors without a fight. That the Judge gave us as much as he legally could despite my attorney's error showed how credible he considered my testimony.

I am not seeking opportunities to "deal them a little more misery". I have never tried to make them miserable, only make them understand where the boundaries are. Obviously I have not been successful. Perhaps tonight I will finally make them understand what is ours and what is theirs.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah, if it's not all right in their eyes (or by the sheriff's deputy) for you to be on that strip of land until the thing is settled, . . . . . . . . . They need to play by their own rules! Hypocrites.

I have never even been talking about that strip of land that was in dispute. I am getting sheriff visits for being on land that has never been a part of the dispute other than in their own minds. I was okay with staying off the disputed land until the Court made a decision even though he was constantly on it. It was the frustration of not even being in control of my own land that was "getting to me".

Now I can talk about being on the disputed swath even though I still haven't done anything with it -- waiting for the Court papers. Still, I haven't called the sheriff for him being on my land, (no longer disputed), only for continuing to work land that has always been mine and was no part of any dispute.

How much should one be expected to take?

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've been following this entire drama and pretty much kept my mouth shut. I'm a vindictive SOB. If somebody does me wrong, they are getting it back in spades. I live by the credo: Don't get mad, get even. And I carry a grudge to the grave. Everyone is different, and this is who I am. What would I do?

If the assholes are serious about selling out, check with the local realtors. If it does go on the market, make an offer. Buy the place out, combine the deeds into one property, then sub-divide it again the way you want and re-sell the remaining land to re-coup some of your costs. They can then go to bed knowing that you own all of their land. And (this is the meanness in me) maybe send them a thank you card. (Personally, I would include a pic of myself peeing off the porch)