Range wars

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lest I rustle someone else's thread, I decided to explain my "pet project" in a new rambling thread.

Forty years ago Mr. B. purchased exactly half of a sixty acre farm. His side included the house and the barn. The other buildings on the 60 acres were either partly on his side or wholly on the property to the West.Before he purchased the property he required the seller do a survey.

Enter Me and Mine. We purchased the West 30 acres. Before we did, though, we also required the seller have a survey of the property done. When our survey was done, a mistake was made that appeared to give the neighbor 15 feet more than his survey had shown. He fully realized how that mistake was made, but it gave him more of the out-buildings. In fact, he actually moved the two stakes a bit further than 15 feet.

When we arrived, he showed us the two stakes saying, "I use these as the boundaries" or something equally non-specific. He did not say, "These are the boundary stakes."

We farmed the 60 acres as one farm for several years until his BIL who did much of the work in later years, absconded with our profits. We put some of our land into Conservation and Mr. B. rented his out as a cash crop to a neighbor. During the non-sharing period, Mr. B. did not use the 15 feet -- I think it was in fear we'd have a survey done and he wanted to be able to say he didn't use it because he knew it was ours. But he didn't have the courage to admit to his "mistake" with the land.

After 25 years, Mr. B sold his property. Soon after the new neighbors moved in, I had occasion to stop at the house to let them know their horses were out in the road. For waking Mrs. Z up, I was cursed at. I left figuring we'd never be more than neighbors.

Still, I tried to be a good neighbor. When Mrs.Z and her friends rode their horses across our front lawn, we decided to address the issue if it happened again. When they dropped a load of rotten hay bales on the corner of our property we decided to address the issue if it happened again since that area was fallow. When their dog took a nip at our 12 yo son, and the neighbor saw only our son pick up a stick to hit the dog with, (He yelled at my son.) we decided to address the issue if it happened again since no skin was broken. Several other instances like these occurred through the years, but we always 'gave' them the first chance.

Somehow, through those years these neighbors decided that land -- in addition to the mistake -- was theirs. They stole a post DH put up, threatened me when I mowed a newly cleaned area of our land. This was the first time we realized they were mistaking the boundary lines.

The very next day I gathered copies of some information I had in expectation of having a conversation with them. NOT! Again I was sworn and yelled at. I was given a list of reasons how they knew I was attempting to steal their land -- all misconceptions they had grown in their head. Then they contacted an attorney (GM-motors free legal service) who had them get their property surveyed so they would have evidence of our theft.

Instead of verifying their position that we were thieves, the survey showed the original boundaries with us owning 15 feet into "their" shed and down the line to about 25 feet from their back door. That's when they decided to sue us for the 15 feet under the law of Adverse Possession by Acquiescence. I'm not sure how someone goes from righteous indignation at the thought someone is stealing from them to "oh, I guess they're not" to "let's steal from them" in so quick a time frame, but they did.

In all honesty, if they had approached us directly we would have let them keep the 15 feet we hadn't known we owned. But they didn't. They are suing us for the 'disputed' 15 feet, but have described property well past that 15 feet into our land. In addition they have publicly called us thieves, lawbreakers, and liars. I decided that I couldn't let such charges against the honorable man of character I married and am slowly losing each day.

The more that I checked into this affair, the more I realized that there was a deliberate theft from the very beginning. I talked to Mr. B. and he admitted his mistake (I didn't call it theft) and signed a quit claim deed giving the 15 feet -- that he did not sell to the new neighbors according to their legal description -- back to us.

Now I'm filling out 15 pages of questions from their attorney and writing my own set of questions for the neighbors to answer as Interrogatories which are part of Disclosure. Yes, I know you are all thinking I should get a lawyer myself. I have consulted with an attorney and found that the process of protecting my own property would run between $8,000 and $10,000. There is no way I can justify spending $20,000 an acre -- even for my own land -- and I doubt a judge would award $20,000 in legal fees to me for 15 feet of land (x's the length of my property). I have spent $225 in consultation costs with a lawyer and that has been somewhat useful.

So, if I win I go back to being a good neighbor, but put a line fence in to prevent future problems. If I lose I put the pigs and roosters next to their back door/yard and let them enjoy the sounds and scents of rural life up close and personal. And I am setting up a pretty strong liable suit as I explore this situation. The number of people in the community that I found heard my precious DH (and me) publicly called thieves is growing in numbers.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh dear. I am so sorry Smart Red! I didn't even know "adverse possession by acquiescence" existed. I took a quick look online to find out more, and it says on this link here:

http://www.wisbar.org/NewsPublicati...Article.aspx?Volume=83&Issue=3&ArticleID=1926

That they have to be "Adversely possessing" for 20 years in your state. Have they been there that long? I'm of course not familiar at all with this topic, and I haven't read more than just this little bit, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mr. and Mrs. Z have been there for 15 years. What they are trying to do is to use the ownership of Mr. B -- who says he never owned the disputed property -- as part of the 20 year requirement.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
You have mentioned this PITA before and I am so sorry that you have to go through this. Sounds like you are covering your bases. I know you can do this, you are smart, determined and you are RIGHT. There is no stopping a determined woman when she is in the right. You will win this. And after you win this and put up a fence to keep this trash off your land, sue them. Sue them for slander and defamation of character. Make them spend even more money on lawyers. Issuing a public acknowledgement of lying about you and your DH in the form of apology in the local newspaper would be a nice touch as well.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ugh!

Wouldn't it be wonderful if people could live pleasant, happy lives?

I honestly don't think that conflict is somehow the natural state of human behavior. The reality is that civilization shows that cooperation is as natural and as normal. We see a most amazing degree of cooperation on our highways every minute of every day. Of course, we may also see conflict.

I also think that it really doesn't take two to tango. Bad apples are locked behind bars every day. Some people know just how far they can push their interests without being arrested. They may take pride in this. Being corrected, may have no effect on their future behavior. They stayed outta jail, didn't they?

You have to wonder how some people were raised ...

Steve

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mr. and Mrs. Z have been there for 15 years. What they are trying to do is to use the ownership of Mr. B -- who says he never owned the disputed property -- as part of the 20 year requirement.

What dirt bags! :mad: Don't worry. You are going to win this and we will cheer you on!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
What a mess! How can Mother Theresa and Pope Francis and your neighbor be cut from the same cloth?
I am wondering if the fact that your former neighbor signed the quit-claim over to you is a good thing or not. Does this imply that you recognized the property actually belonged to him? Could their lawyer turn it into this and use it as evidence against your case?

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am wondering if the fact that your former neighbor signed the quit-claim over to you is a good thing or not. Does this imply that you recognized the property actually belonged to him? Could their lawyer turn it into this and use it as evidence against your case?

The neighbor stated that he didn't own and never owned the property -- that he knew the property was ours -- and that he signed the quit claim deed to clarify legal ownership.

Neat addition to the problem. I just had a visit from a sheriff's deputy at just past 8:00 p.m.. It seems the neighbors called to report someone (they suspected it was us) had left one tire track on their property. I doubt there was a tire track, but I do mow our property and if they still are thinking it's theirs, there could have been tracks. Certainly not just one. I don't do uni-cycles.

I really think they saw us with the tax assessor measuring in the road and decided to make trouble. HE was walking on their property, but I stayed well on my own. On the other hand, since Mr.Z continued to mow our property, I put a few stakes out with a NO TRESPASSING sign. They are not on the property line -- I don't want them to think I'm agreeing to anything -- and I have moved the stakes every week within the same area just to mess with their head(s). I have also moved the stakes to mow my land and put them back behind the mown space.

I hesitate to call them bad names. At first they were honestly mistaken about the boundary and I would have been concerned had it been me. What they are doing now is past the pale and I don't understand such behavior. Especially since the old neighbor (Mr.B.) told me the lawyer told him that Mr. and Mrs. Z were planning to sell. What difference would 15 feet make to them if the place is for sale? Beats me!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow, some people... :\ It's very reasonable to consider that the value of that 15 feet wouldn't be worth the court costs, but oh the satisfaction...priceless. ;) You have so much documentation I'm sure you'll do fine representing yourself.

My BIL bought a 68 acre farm last fall and just found out that his right of way to put in his road runs right through one quarter of the modular home that sits on the piece in front of his. He didn't have the survey done prior to purchase, but waited until he was preparing to get his road put in. This is also a subdivided piece of land. I hate that when people don't take the time to get these things done right. It does leave a lot of burden on the potential buyer to get things checked out ahead of time and when you consider that it could cost around $2000 to get a survey on a piece of property that big, I can see where corners get cut. Hard lesson learned for him anyway. He's dealing with the bank though because that parcel was foreclosed upon. Lots of red tape, but at least no psychos that you have to live in close proximity to there. o_O

Latest posts