Range wars

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Someone BYC posted a photo of a sign a farmer put up when land next to him was put up for sale. Attention working farm farm animals are noisey, smelly and have sex outside!! Can't say buyers wheren't warned.
:yuckyuck

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can understand that farmer's point of view. So often city folk buy land in the country only to later complain that it smells like a farm. I consider my sign an FYI rather than a threat to the neighbors. The Grands are excited about new chicks and baby pigs. Anticipation is part of the excitement.

Last edited:

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have 3 young roosters I'd like to donate to the cause. They don't need much room, mama's a Dutch bantam and daddy is a barred bantam Cochin. As long as you're doing road trips anyway....

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Right, @thistlebloom, Idaho is along the route I'd take to New York. Nope, that would have to be a different road trip -- perhaps when I go to visit my brother in Seattle?

Are the bantams as noisy as the standards? I've never had them. I like the idea of more noise makers in a smaller space, but I also like the deep-throated call of the big guys.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Someone BYC posted a photo of a sign a farmer put up when land next to him was put up for sale. Attention working farm farm animals are noisey, smelly and have sex outside!! Can't say buyers wheren't warned.
notice this property is a farm.jpg

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Carol, I agree with you. My girlfriend has had a daycare for years. New owners next door knew about that and now they complain about the noise the kids make when they are outside!

Mary

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The lights are motion activated to keep your critters safe from coyotes, stray dogs etc. if someone put up a light like that I'd have to show off my marksman skills with a pellet gun. Those bulbs are not cheap to replace. I'd aim them wherever you feel is "most beneficial". I thought it was open land not divided like a hedgerow that's why I suggested the bushes.

Silly me I forgot about GUINEA fowl!!!!!! Those are first rate noise makers that will REALLY get them all fired up. Plus they are great free range birds and supposed to be quite tasty.

You could also do peacocks. Beautiful birds that would liven up your homestead. They were kept as an early alarm system by the upper class because they are QUITE loud.

And a pea hen

Just want to be sure you look at ALL your options

Last edited:

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Like, like, like, @Jared77. I know guinea are LOUD. They are also difficult to keep free-ranging and close to home. They would have to be in a total enclosure or I'd have them wandering onto the neighbors' property as well. Still, something to think about and certainly do-able if I only let them out for a short time each day to keep the tick populations down. Now if I were to range them in the woods to the west of the property, they'd be blissfully happy and probably not be a problem to us or the neighbors. Something to consider...

The peacock sounds like the jungle to me -- with a piercingly loud laugh-like cry, but the plan really is to raise food, not to harass the neighbors. At the price, I doubt peacock would make a meal I could afford, and I don't think I could kill one for dinner. I would move the animals to a spot further away from the property line if I win in court. . . . Good neighbor that I am.

Thanks for the ideas, though!

Latest posts