Ripoff ?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Organic eggs are best in sliced bread, hole ripped out from the middle of the slice, fried in virgin olive oil.

Which begs the question: If you saw a free-ranging hen eating an endangered green peeper on St. Patrick's Day and it only happened because you let her out early as a result of daylight savings time, what would you do? Hmmm?

Steve
If feed costs 56¢/pound ($28/50#) and your hen eats 1/4#/day while laying 280 eggs/year ... feed costs are ... $51.10/year ... 18¢/egg ($2.19/dozen) ... @ninnymary , it's raining ...

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Last Sat. my wife bought 18 egg carton of free range, large , AA eggs at Costco for $ 2.49 ... Yesterday we talked to some friends that said that in Portland, Ore. " organic store " , organic eggs are selling for $5.29 per dozen. Another friend that buys from a CSA said that their organic eggs are sold for $ 6.99 / doz. :ep WHY ??? Does the word organic mean an automatic MUCH HIGHER PRICE ??? :barnie :idunno
Organic grain is much more expensive. They lose more birds because they do not use antibiotics and vaccinations. If they are free range more birds are lost to predators.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Organic grain is much more expensive. They lose more birds because they do not use antibiotics and vaccinations. If they are free range more birds are lost to predators.

So , basically ... poor animal husbandry as well as / or poor agricultural practices that continues to spread disease and excessive death of their livestock and/ or their agricultural products in their zeal for a utopian ideal which translates to the customers have to pay much higher prices for the "organic " products that manage to survive ??? Why ??? :idunno Here I thought that the owner of a business makes a profit for their good work and quality products or suffers any and all losses resulting from their actions ? :caf

Last edited:

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Organic eggs are best in sliced bread, hole ripped out from the middle of the slice, fried in virgin olive oil.

Which begs the question: If you saw a free-ranging hen eating an endangered green peeper on St. Patrick's Day and it only happened because you let her out early as a result of daylight savings time, what would you do? Hmmm?

Steve
If feed costs 56¢/pound ($28/50#) and your hen eats 1/4#/day while laying 280 eggs/year ... feed costs are ... $51.10/year ... 18¢/egg ($2.19/dozen) ... @ninnymary , it's raining ...
Great math Steve. :)

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score

Steve
Great math Steve! ;)

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bob, even though your message is very subtle, do I detect a slight bias against everything that carries the organic terminology?

I wonder what exactly it costs you to roll your eyes, walk past that display and on to the conventional eggs.

Or maybe you just wanted to get an argument going with the people on here who are inclined to be in favor of organic labeling?

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bob, even though your message is very subtle, do I detect a slight bias against everything that carries the organic terminology?

I wonder what exactly it costs you to roll your eyes, walk past that display and on to the conventional eggs.

Or maybe you just wanted to get an argument going with the people on here who are inclined to be in favor of organic labeling?[/QUOTE
The health risks associated with the overuse of antibiotics is a proven science fact, as well the the hormones given to animals to fatten the up and their effects on humans. But, I always say, Americans want cheap food and a lot of it.

flowerweaver

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yes, eating organic can be more expensive--especially if you aren't able to grow your own food like we do--but the way I see it, I am subsidizing my health, as are the people who choose to buy these foods.

Those people who choose to eat the sugar, artificial sweeteners, dye, artificial flavors, preservatives, and overly processed products of things grown with chemicals that pass for 'food' today may be saving money on a weekly basis, but how many of them instead pay--or will pay in the end--the pharmaceutical companies and doctors to treat their cancer, diabetes, heart problems, obesity?