Santa delivered, so ..?

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yay! Carol! I'm so proud of you for coming to that realisation and wanting to do something about it. With your attitude, I know you will succeed. I'm always seeing videos of people on wheelchairs, without arms or legs and doing amazing exercises. You can do it!

I know a lot about nutrition and working out. If you ever need help, just pm me.

Mary
Thanks Mary. I do plan to work towards a more fit lifestyle as well as weight loss. Got to start somewhere.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Carol Dee, have you ever tried a stationary bike? I know I keep yammering on about biking in different threads, but it really is a good way to build fitness and muscle without weight bearing to hurt your feet. You could start with just a few minutes a day and build up as your body gets used to it.

My sis has a lot of pain in her knees and feet. She picked up an exercise bike at a thrift store for $7. She started pedaling and was so delighted to see some muscle definition start to show up around her knees and noticed a big difference in her ability to get around with less pain. She desperately needs a double knee replacement and foot surgery, so I can empathize with the pain you feel.
@thistlebloom DH bought a 3 in 1 exercise *thingy* Upright bike, recumbent bike and elliptical. He got it 2 years ago. Used it about 3 months and it has been buried under blankets since then. I do plan to drag it out and start using it. Wish me luck. (I hate bikes.) :hide Well at my size there is NO such thing as a comfortable seat. :confused:

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have seen recumbent style bikes with a chair type seat, as opposed to a standard bicycle type. That would definitely be more comfortable.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
There are also cushioned seats that you put on top of the regular seat. There are also bike shorts that have padding.

Mary

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
There was a show on PBS a few years ago. David Pogue was getting advice from a doctor, testing his fitness, and visiting with kind of an ordinary guy with ratings for extra ordinary health. The guy had this unusual diet and exercise program. I remember that he would throw most of the apple away with the core and eat peelings.

Pogue looked like a fit guy but the tests didn't show any special level of health. He fell short in all sorts of ways. The doctor told him that on the basis of the results what he could expect. It wasn't a rosy picture. He was told how far short of where he could be he was today, would be next year, in twenty years. He was told, "It's your choice."

I'm watching this thinking, "Cut the guy some slack! There are quality of life issues for him." I mean, he is a fun-loving guy, has a lot going on, and he is smart. Yeah, I hope he was smart enough to take the test results and the doctor's evaluation seriously. That's what I personally and selfishly hope. I hope David is around for a long time and that he is in good health but, a lot of that depends on his choice.

@Carol Dee , I want to stay healthy. I also want to stay mobile and I've got a problem there. I have 4 herniated discs and other problems in my back. My sciatic nerve in one leg is so damaged that I can't lift my left foot, can't even wiggle those digitS'. The right leg isn't a lot better. I'm on a slippery slope towards not being able to walk. Excess weight will put an end to it. I'm lame. Put another 50 pounds on these legs and I will be immobile. About a part of this anyway, it's my choice.

Steve

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Baby steps, Carol Dee. Realize that anything you do is more than you've done and take your time building your strength up and your weight down. I am sending you my best wishes. . . .

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Baby steps, Carol Dee. Realize that anything you do is more than you've done and take your time building your strength up and your weight down. I am sending you my best wishes. . . .
Thanks @Smart Red I can do this. I sure have some great cheerleader here at TEG

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes @ninnymary I HAVE to want to do this. I may have finally hit Rock Bottom. My Blood Pressure and Cholesterol are borderline. No Diabetes YET. With recent deaths in the family I decided I HAVE to take care of MYSELF. My feet, ankles and hips and sometimes my knees complain bitterly about the extra weight too. I will never be able to wear a skimpy swim suit or close fitting clothes. There will be excess baggage from all those years of carrying the extra pounds. But I KNOW I will feel better and be healthier. It is time. My Time.

@Carol Dee, I am RIGHT THERE with ya!! Aching feet that threaten to topple me at any moment, weak ankles, creaking knees, hips keeping me up at night and a general feeling of complete un-well-ness. Just walking out to the chicken coop would have me a little winded. I stood out in the barn after Christmas and thought "Debbie WHAT are you DOING!?!?!? You just bought a dairy cow! You're going to have a calf here by next fall and then all your work is going to double! If you don't DO SOMETHING, you're going to end up having to sell all of this and move into an apartment with a scoot-about!"
On Jan 4 I started on the '28 Day Fast Metabolism' diet and have lost 20lbs!! I feel SO MUCH BETTER!! Most of the aches and pains are fading and my energy is going up. It was CRAZY expensive to start ... but only because I didn't have ANY 'Real Food' in my house!! I had to buy ALL of the seasonings/herbs/spices + more produce than I've EVER bought before. But I've found that almost all of the recipes make several meals. And by learning to USE all those herbs & spices, my food has never tasted better! It's a whole new lifestyle for me, but I'm loving the changes - and the hope that has come with it.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
@canesisters Good For You! That is a BIG weight loss in a short time. I started W.W. on Jan. 4th and am down a bit less than 1/2 your loss. But I will take every little pound GONE. I am eating way better too. AND good for you for starting the journey before you got to my weight. :eek:

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cane, both my husband and I have the book and done it. It does work. You are basically eating lean and healthy. Everything will work if you stick to it. My husband lost 15 pounds and me 8. Of course neither one of us was really overweight by much to begin with. We return to it every 3 months or so. I love good food so this diet keeps me in check.

Mary

Latest posts