Show Us Your Tomato!

meatburner

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
oh, thanks Ridgerunner. That is very helpful. My bad for probably not reading it correctly. I will be doing that to make some sauces in the next few weeks. Thanks again!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am so tired of seeing green tomatoes. RIPEN ALREADY! I know soon I will be yelling enough already. I want a big red juicy slice that covers the whole sandwich.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Most of my tomato plants are dead now, late blight swept through after I rescued so many. One can not battle mother nature in the rain. She wins this round!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I found 8 sweet baby girls that were ripe today! :weee Surely not much longer on the slicers.

Bleenie

Sprout
Reaction score
My tomatoes are all still green and seem really slow to produce fruit, is there a natural fertilizer I can use to boost the growth? I used fish fertilizer earlier in the year, I've been using it for some time now and the plants just explode during the week after fertilization but it doesn't do much for boosting fruit productivity. :(

Green is about all I have been looking at for a couple weeks now :barnie

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't believe there is a "ripening" fertilizer. That may not be what you are asking Bleenie but I know your frustration.

Here is a truss of tomatoes developing and ripening (link). (Stop somewhere or you will get to those uncomfortable decay pictures! :/)

The person who did the series of photographs notes: "Day 52 Finally, the first fruit begins to color. The fruit has been near full size since day 34 (~18 days). This is why folks think their tomatoes will never ripen!"

These are beefsteaks (I believe, Big Beef) so they take awhile but the truth is that patience is a virtue in the tomato patch. Full size for 2 weeks! And, that tomato still isn't ready to eat - "prime" isn't reached until another 5 days have passed.

Steve

edit: rereading your post . . . you may be just encouraging leaf and branch growth continuing to use the fish fertilizer. high N does that and my bottle of fish fertilizer is 5-1-1, not really high numbers but nearly all on the nitrogen side of things.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is one mighty tomato!

I should never have left those 3 tomatoes on 90-day old Gary O Sena when I set the plant out in the garden. With inadequate foliage, the most exposed one had sun scald - toss. The largest one split while still green, probably as a result of the very changeable late June/early July weather - toss.

This week, I picked the one with a blush. It was planted too close to the plum tree and the slugs that like to hang out under that thing! Now, it is nearly ripe on the kitchen counter but there is decay around the deepest slug hole . . .
:barnie

I imagine that I will just toss that one, too. (Maybe I'd better check the Gary O Sena seed supply before the whole tomato goes in the compost bucket. :/)

Steve
relying on 3 sungolds every other day and, maybe, another bloody butcher soon.

Latest posts