Show Us Your Tomato!

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We are going to have a TON of roma's ready !!!! Better get some rest before those are ripe.... it will be at least 2 or 3 days making sauce and what ever else we need!

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Had 2 tomato sandwiches for breakfast while canning up a dozen pints of chopped red tomatoes (with a little onion) and then a quart of chopped white tomatoes.

... happy sigh...

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Glad to hear someone's enjoying them. I've got a bunch of greens that I think are going to turn soon. So far we've enjoyed 1 grape tomato with another to turn here soon. Weathers been cool so things are delayed turning. I can't believe how many I've got, but at this rate its going to be Labor Day before I ever get to enjoy EARLY GIRLS!! :barnie

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I found a tomato plant under one of my hibiscus plants. It was a small Esther's Best Yellow Cherry tomato plant (which I find EVERYWHERE in this yard every year). They are always so sweet and juicy. The one's I planted on purpose died from all the rain and are long gone, so I was so pleased to find a handful of them today. Delicious! I needed something to make me smile today.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thanks Thistle, I'm really not so bad... I'm usually just sick or so busy my days all squish together and I feel like I'm missing out on the happy things in life as the days go by. I'm trying to 'slow down and smell the roses' for the rest of the summer. That's my mission! I wish I could 'stop', but I really will have to settle for slow down. :lol:

The good news, I took a week off work next week with my husband because he finally has worked long enough to get a week's paid vacation! We're going to plant our fall crops. HOORAY!!!

Maybe I'll put in some last minute tomatoes, I saw some good size ones on clearance while we were at home depot. We can still pick tomatoes until October here. Though I don't trust our weather. We've only had 6 days above 90?! Its 84 with a cool breeze today. You would think its late September! :th

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Same here its a lot like what may is May for us right now. I've got 1 Early Girl that's went from green to a real pretty orange color but that's it. I might be ripening on the counter this year.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's just a couple of cherry tomatoes. What's unusual is that they are red, and they are in MY garden. And it's just August! :lol:

7504_florida_weave_tomatoes_teg_005.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Okay Thistle'! What kind of cherry??

My garden is only just now producing a ripe tomato in something larger than about 2 ounces. Sungold, then SunSugar cherries are always first. Then Bloody Butchers which must run about 2 ounces plus. Now, there is Casey's Pure Yellow:

4989_dsc00735.jpg

This isn't the best picture. I should have taken the plate outside for better light. . . . I also intended to weigh the tomato before slicing it. I guess I got in too much of a hurry :p.

It was about 5 ounces and I should note that the other popular 5 ounce tomato, Early Girl, is ripening out there! They always seem a little small and are often heart-shaped with their earliest fruits. But, back to this "Pure Yellow." You can see that it is essentially an apricot color.
:hu

Gold Dust is ripening also and looks much the same as Casey's. Gold Dust is a determinate but Casey's kind of acts like one also altho' it isn't listed that way. The plants kind of "played out" in my garden last year. It looks like it might happen again since, just like Gold Dust, the small plants are just loaded with fruit! I bet I harvest them all this month. Oh well.

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those are Koralik Steve. First time for me, and they don't have a remarkable flavor. Not as sweet as a lot of cherries, but, hey, you won't hear me complainin'!

Man, I can't believe you're eating ripe tomatoes, mine are very far from even a hint of color, just greengreengreen.
But there's a lot of them!

How's your Fireworks coming? Mine have a lot of fruit, small yet, but they probably won't get much bigger. I forget what the description of them is.

Every variety out there is new to me this year. Oh, wait, that's not true...I saved some seed two years ago and it came up, that's the Cherokee Purple, Dr. Wyches' Yellow and Japanese Black Trifele. They are all doing well. That's my first tomato seed saving experience
and I guess they seem a little more special to me because of it. :)