Smoked! What Not to Put in a Fire

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
it's not just men
If I'm able to walk, I'm not sick enough to go to the doctor.....
sSc_hiding2.gif

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Me too! Last time I went to Dr was 2 years ago, before that it was 4 years. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
You poor guy, . . . . only thing that worked was a Ivy block from CVS, was about $60 a bottle. Exspenive but worth it. good Luck.

The name doesn't ring a bell, but the price is right on. The only thing I found to help my bout with PI was something from a locked safe at the drug store running $56ish for an ounce or so. Well worth the price, but not something I'd want to get again.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't have an reaction to poison ivy but my dad has bad reactions. I remember we went walking one time at a campsite together and wandered into a whole mess of it without realizing. He had it really bad and used calamine lotion to soothe it. I'll have to ask if that helped.

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
When I get a case of PI I call my Dr and get a RX for Methylprednisolone there are a total of 21 tablets on a card.
The 1st day you take 6 and each day after the 1st you take 1 less until the 6th day you're down to 1 tablet.
For me after the first day the itching has gone away and by the 3rd day the rash is leaving.

THANX RICH

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
We swear by Zanfel, Technu or Buji scrub (different brands of the same thing). You can get it over the counter. I think it ran somewhere around $25 or so. It was developed initially as first aid for chemical warfare. It removes the oils from the surface of the skin. Best used as soon as you know you've been exposed, but helpful to dry the rash and calm the itch and shorten the duration even after it has become a rash. My DH used to have severe reactions to poison ivy and had to get steriod shots and also take a methylprednisolone pack, but hasn't had to go to the doctor for poison ivy since we discovered the scrub.

If you've inhaled it by smoke or have a particularly bad case of rash, I'm glad you are going to the doctor since it could go systemic and cause you all kinds of problems. Not worth the risk. They will probably give you the steriods, which will help repress your body's over-active immune response.

For soothing and drying your rash as well, look into getting a pine tar soap. Burt's Bees makes a good one. There are several out there. This one also has jewel weed in it.

Hope you are feeling better soon!

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dropped my glasses in poison ivy, now have it on my arms. Using bleach and Ivarest to combat. Bleach to dry out, Ivarest has meds to stop itching. It works if I stay busy. At nites is when I have tendency to scratch and spread.

In summer I walk with dog with gallon spray tank full of poison ivy killer. Not sure purpose God wanted upon giving us this weed.

Latest posts