Some of my new daylilies for you to see

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I know in a few states it is. Here it's still legal but they are deliberately planted all over.

I think it's a requirement in commercial landscaping. You MUST have Burning bushes, Stella d'Oro and Knock Out Roses (preferably double blossom I've noticed). It's unbelievable and a total lack of creativity.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think that most of those mass shopping center plantings are probably 'planned' by the paving contractors. That's why they all look the same - same plants, same layout, same maintenance (myrtle murder).

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think what they do is choose what there's a lot of that is bullet proof and cheap.

I must come clean :oops:....I'm planning on picking up 3 burning bush next year to put along the far edges of the landscape against the woods.
Their fall color is so intense, and we need more color. I love green, but it can get monotonous.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
You could always do what folks around here do - dig them up from businesses.
We've lost several Knock-out roses, a crepe mrytle, TONS of 'monkey grass'....

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have a burning bush. It's small MAYBE knee high. It's on the corner of my house and needs to be moved. I want to move it near the corner of the lot to help "anchor" that area & define it a bit. Plus it's all open space so I figure I'll let it get reach it's fullest potential and really put on a show in the fall.

I guess I should clarify my statement. I like burning bushes. The fall color is undeniable. The issue I take with them is the application of them.

@Thistle that's a good use for them. Just like anything if it's well planned out they can be absolutely stunning.

The problem I have is when I see a row of them all given a "hair cut" or trimmed to a nice geometric hedge. It's the lack of thought with bulletproof plantings that make me crazy.

If I'm going to pay for my property to be designed and paid for with mowing, sprinkler system etc you better do more than burning bushes, KO roses, and Stella d'Oro day lilies.

I think the box stores plan on people not putting a lot of effort into caring for things. We as gardeners are in the minority. We take pleasure in maintaining and cultivating things. Most folks want to plant something, have it live, mow around it, it blooms, and it doesn't make a mess that interferes with their mowing when it comes back next year.

So people want those things they cater to it. I go to the garden centers at the big box stores keeping that in mind. I don't expect to find parrot tulips, or other really unique things. I know where to find the good stuff. Trick is learning the secret handshake to get the really good stuff ;)

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah. The bulletproof stuff has it's place.
I like searching out different stuff and planting it for clients. Not all of them give me free rein to do that, a few are scared of "unique", but the ones that do are the most fun. I just put in some new-to-me Redvein Enkianthus. So far they seem very deer resistant, and I'm excited to see their spring bloom after reading about them. We'll see how they pan out.

dscn3904.jpg

Latest posts