Some of my new daylilies for you to see

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Had to google burning bush. Those are really pretty. It was noted that they are invasive, do they seed like crazy? I can appreciate them on a computer screen....... sure don't need thousands of little bush children around......

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
googled Stella de Oro too. It's just a yellow daylily. (shrugs) People have no more imagination that that? I have a yellow daylily that has "been in the family" since I was 19, but I don't limit myself to just ONE kind!! :thumbsup

flowerweaver

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Just read your article @catjac1975 and love all your daylilies in bloom! I had a very nice surprise in August when an online friend from another forum sent me a huge box of divisions of her daylily collection. She was in the process of moving some to a new house and knew that I suddenly had a sunny backyard after a tornado took down our trees in June and didn't know what to plant.

Since the cleanup took a while, I put them all into pots until I could figure out where I wanted them. Do you think it's too late to plant them now with a first frost due in about three weeks? The ground never freezes here and it will be in the 40-60's during the days when it freezes at night. I was hoping I could mulch them well and perhaps use a frost blanket. Alternatively, I could just keep them over the winter in the greenhouse and plant them out in the spring, but perhaps they need some cold to bloom?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just read your article @catjac1975 and love all your daylilies in bloom! I had a very nice surprise in August when an online friend from another forum sent me a huge box of divisions of her daylily collection. She was in the process of moving some to a new house and knew that I suddenly had a sunny backyard after a tornado took down our trees in June and didn't know what to plant.

Since the cleanup took a while, I put them all into pots until I could figure out where I wanted them. Do you think it's too late to plant them now with a first frost due in about three weeks? The ground never freezes here and it will be in the 40-60's during the days when it freezes at night. I was hoping I could mulch them well and perhaps use a frost blanket. Alternatively, I could just keep them over the winter in the greenhouse and plant them out in the spring, but perhaps they need some cold to bloom?

I know this is Cats question, but I'm in zone 5 officially with a zone 4 tendency and I'm here to tell you that you practically can't kill a daylily.
No worries about frost, the roots continue to grow until the ground freezes solid, even when the tops have yellowed and dried up in the fall. Yours may not ever reach that point given your climate. So you don't need to coddle them.

I'll tell you a secret that just may ruin whatever reputation I have.
I get lots of extra plants from customer divisions that they don't want, and a lot of those are daylilies. Well if I can't find any other home for them I bring them to my house to plant. I've got lots of room. Fall is a busy busy time with cleanups and divisions and the usual maintenance, so sometimes these orphans sit on my "extra plant pallet" waiting to go in the ground. Some are stuffed in nursery pots, but most are in yard bags. I'm weary of gardening by the end of the season and my good intentions are just paving the way to the hot place.

Here's the embarrassing part. I had two daylilies in bags sitting there waiting to go in the ground for 2 years. I know. I'm so humiliated. :oops:
But the kicker is that even through the frozen days of winter and the heat of summer, after 2 years they were still alive. Really ugly, but alive.I planted them and they lived, thrived and bloomed.

Now you can all go call the ASPCP on me. :hide

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
@baymule, burning bush (euonymous alatus) isn't invasive here. I haven't ever seen babies coming up near any, or far from them either.
Spirea is more prone to that as far as I can see, and it's another common landscape plant.

The deal with the Stella d'Oro's is their continuous bloom through the summer. That's unusual in daylilies. They recently came out with a red one called Ruby Stella. It's red (duh), but I'm not super impressed with the one I have. Could just be where I've planted it.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Had to google burning bush. Those are really pretty. It was noted that they are invasive, do they seed like crazy? I can appreciate them on a computer screen....... sure don't need thousands of little bush children around......
I have three Burning Bushes. In the 20 or so years I have had them I have never seen a volunteer growing in the woods or along the road. Perhaps they are more invasive in different zones, but I've seen no problems with them here where mowing is a weekly duty.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score

I cannot imagine there would be a problem if the ground never freezes. I would plant them and mulch them. The only problem that I can imagine is if they are not winter hardy. But I buy plants form the deep south all the time and they over winter just fine with mulch and it gets in the single digits here and the ground freezes.

Latest posts