Some of my new daylilies for you to see

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes. The year that I started here, they paid BIG BUCKS to have a company come in and landscape all over - around the office, around the sign and flag pole, up the entrance road, around the convience center. Within weeks there were holes where roses had been dug up, one of the myrtles was gone, whole lines of the monkey grass missing.....
It's just how things are done in this area. I've heard someone say - talking about some chairs from a front porch - 'Well there wasn't a chain or anything on it, and I wanted it.'
sFun_duh2.gif

flowerweaver

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@thistlebloom that's encouraging, thanks. I was also given a box of iris from another gardener which I also potted up. Does anyone know if these can be planted this late and survive occasional freezing nights warming to above freezing during the day? It would be great if neither the daylilies or irises were tying up greenhouse space--more room for propagating other things over the winter.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes. The year that I started here, they paid BIG BUCKS to have a company come in and landscape all over - around the office, around the sign and flag pole, up the entrance road, around the convience center. Within weeks there were holes where roses had been dug up, one of the myrtles was gone, whole lines of the monkey grass missing.....
It's just how things are done in this area. I've heard someone say - talking about some chairs from a front porch - 'Well there wasn't a chain or anything on it, and I wanted it.'
View attachment 4905
I bet they go to church and do not think they are stealing. OMG

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
@flowerweaver, if the iris' you received are the Germanic, or bearded types you can't kill them if you tried.
I have another story about bearded iris but I'll spare you all the misery of reading about my faux pas. Or faux pasES if there's a plural for that...

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Agreed plant them, feed them and they will rebound like nothing ever happened. Time release food is your friend :D.

And @thistlebloom I guess we'll be jail birds together in our hand basket ride to where Red's getting her house heat from ;) because I bought 4 coral bells that I completely forgot about a few years back. Left them in plastic 1 gallon pots for over a year from purchase.

North side of the property zone 5 winter with plenty of snow was where they resided. That following spring I found them and remembered them so I fed them with liquid fertilizer figured they were gone but nothing ventured nothing gained.

When new leaves emerged I yanked them up (they had become root bound and a few roots poked through the drain holes) planted them with a heavy dose of time release fertilizer and they ended up blooming that same year. They are now huge and you'd never know the difference.

As far as iris goes do you have enough to plant some now and some to store in the greenhouse? Cover your bases, hedge your bets kind if approach? This will save some space in the greenhouse and if what you plant now fails your not up a creek. If they do well, add the greenhouse plants and the bed will be that much fuller that much faster.

I know there is a dormancy period on iris which is why they can be planted in the fall but I'm not sure in your zone how it affects them.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Actually you can run over iris with a tractor, tie them to your bumper and drive to town, throw them in with your goats and chickens, retrieve them all and plant on New Years Eve during a blizzard and they'll shrug it all off and bloom next summer.

Silly me I thought that was only dappled willow bushes that were like that

Latest posts