Start of the Panel Greenhouse!

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cane', since that was to y'all, I'll take a shot at that question.

I don't know that we had "cattle panels" when I had cattle :rolleyes:. Well anyway, I never had hogs either.

I believe that it is a matter of height and spacing of the grid. Someone should correct me if I'm wrong. Certainly, pigs don't need a very high fence but I see these panels that are real tight at the bottom. I think those are for pigs.

Steve

Yes, it's the grid that is different and the height. Go to TSC website and look over all their panels. Cheapest is the livestock/cattle panel with the biggest openings. Most expensive is the horse panels with tiny openings. Hog is much shorter and has several narrow spacings at the bottom to keep piglets in.

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
You need to use wood or metal to keep the shape at the front and back end along the ground.
Panels are far cheaper than wood, roofing and all that to make a 'real' structure.
You can use 4ft TPosts, easy to wiggle them out of the ground, you can easily then drag the hut by hand.

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
wsid-cattle-panel1.jpg

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
You need to use wood or metal to keep the shape at the front and back end along the ground.
Panels are far cheaper than wood, roofing and all that to make a 'real' structure.
You can use 4ft TPosts, easy to wiggle them out of the ground, you can easily then drag the hut by hand.

THANKS SEC!
I finally found a picture that I thought would serve the purpose. If I set it up like this:
tpostandpanelshelter.jpg

Do you think I'll still need to frame it?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Cane, that's how we do ours, but I put the t-posts on the inside of the wire and use the heavy duty zip ties to fasten it together. We don't use any wood.
We make the sides straight up and down so there is no slant to them. You can then fasten the t-posts to them all the way from top to bottom, and when you tarp it the posts aren't in the way.

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
You can wire the panels together and then just use 2 posts per side. For winter, if there's snow, you'll need a center brace to keep the roof from caving in.
I'd skip zipties and just use wire. Still easy to remove and put on, but it'll hold even in wind and wear.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the great advise/inspiration! Hopefully I can get this up in the next couple of weeks.
Does anyone have a good idea for getting 16' panels home in a 6' long truck bed?
(got a feeling there is gonna be some redneck engineering going on....)

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cane, we bring ours home in my girly truck bed, it is actually 6' long but not as wide as a standard pickup. What you do is stack them longwise (for my truck 3 is about the limit) then push them back until you have a sideways covered wagon arch, and you can close the tailgate. Then we use tiedowns to secure them from end to end (that way you can open the tailgate to unload them without them springing out and getting mule kicked in the gut) It would be a good plan to have somebody there to help you unload them. I've done it alone, but it's a real bugger!

I get lots of snow and don't have a center support. But it will squash down if you don't remove it.

I've used wire and I've used zip ties.
I recommend the zip ties, it takes about one quarter of the time to assemble.

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
You just bend them and tie the ends together, then they fit into a truck bed w/o issues. Tear drop shape.

Latest posts