Start of the Panel Greenhouse!

Smithyard Farm

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
if you have a 16ft panel... how far apart should the edges be for it to be of good width, without taking away from the height?

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good question, Smithyard Farm. I was just wondering the same thing. I want to cover two raised beds with one cover so I will have a walkway down the middle. That's 5 feet X 2 beds with 32 inches between. Would I have to crawl down the aisle or use one more length of panel to cover the space?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I went out and measured my goat shelter
and it's 75" across and 72" at the peak.
I have the sides perpendicular. I have seen some with the sides sloping which might give more ground room, but would lower the head space. Aesthetically I like the straight sides. I seem to be developing some slight OCD about square/straight/level lines. My dh is finally rubbing off on me!

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had a picture of 4 panels bent like this, but I can't find it. Only worry is that they will spring back and whack you in the face, so be careful! Also, they get heavy when stacked together.

I had 8ft apart on the ground and the peak was 5ft and 8-9in tall.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm so excited about bulding this for my old girl. Yesterday there were 'skid marks' in the mud where she apparently slipped pretty bad. She's 16h tall so it'll be a snug fit - but I think that she'll be fine with it if both ends are open and she's alone out in the field. I've picked up one of those big blue barrels today and am going to stop by the local tire place tomorrow to see if I can get a trash tire that it will fit into to make the new 'outdoor feeder'.
What do yall think about this idea. IF she won't go inside because it's just TOO close of a 'fit' - I pick up a half dozen straw bales and sit the whole thing on top of them? Driving the t-posts right though them and sitting the pannel ends on the bales to raise the whole thing up a couple of feet?
With MORE RAIN on the way, this project has moved to the TOP of the list.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm so excited about bulding this for my old girl. Yesterday there were 'skid marks' in the mud where she apparently slipped pretty bad. She's 16h tall so it'll be a snug fit - but I think that she'll be fine with it if both ends are open and she's alone out in the field. I've picked up one of those big blue barrels today and am going to stop by the local tire place tomorrow to see if I can get a trash tire that it will fit into to make the new 'outdoor feeder'.
What do yall think about this idea. IF she won't go inside because it's just TOO close of a 'fit' - I pick up a half dozen straw bales and sit the whole thing on top of them? Driving the t-posts right though them and sitting the pannel ends on the bales to raise the whole thing up a couple of feet?
With MORE RAIN on the way, this project has moved to the TOP of the list.

I think that sounds totally doable Cane.
Yeah, 16 hands would be a squeeze if she popped her head up. How is she with flapping noises? Even with the tarp fastened down snug in high winds it tends to rattle.
I saw somebodys sheep shelter made from panels and they put one of those elasticized cargo nets over the tarp to holdd the tarp flat and lessen the noise.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
if you have a 16ft panel... how far apart should the edges be for it to be of good width, without taking away from the height?
I hadn't realized that I might share another idea on this thread.

Jen, I have a 20' x 9' plastic tunnel. I used PVC pipe not 16' cattle panels. The " PVC hoops" are 15' long.

There is no way that I, a little over 6', could have stood upright in there. I cannot stand perfectly upright after having excavated nearly 16" out of the center path but that's okay. Nothing perfect about what I'm doing in there, anyway ;).

Steve

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
You can use more TPosts, the 7ft tall ones and just raise the panels up off the ground 1-2ft.