Start of the Panel Greenhouse!

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm using half a panel for my mini. Feeding them in the new structure helps get them used to it. Mentioning that since the neighbor got their 2 a shelter, first time they had one possibly their whole lives. They wouldn't go in until they started feeding them in it.
horsehut.jpg

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a lovely old barn with 2 stalls for my horses. My vet would have me keep them outdoors in just a shelter 24/7. I only put them in when it is in the teens or a cold rain or blizzard. They have never been sick. My neighbors with the expensive coddled horses, goats and pet pigs have sick animals all the time. My horses would choose the outdoors every time. Unless I have a bucket of grain in the stall they will refuse to go in the barn. They are healthier outdoors within reason. I put them in to make me feel better.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
WHAT ??? You mean that you don't keep your horses in their stalls every day and out of the blazing sun and out in the fog, rain, sleet, snow, wind, dark , etc. with no buckets of grain and blankets on ? If I did that cruel practice of letting the horses choose where they want to spend their time to my horses, the bleeding heart animal rights humane society would seize all of my horses . ( had the seizure thing happen to a friend as they claimed animal cruelty for not providing proper shelter ). Never mind the fact that horses were out in the elements for millions of years . :eek:

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
It supposedly used to be a law that they had to be in at night by a certain date. I asked the animal control in my town and there is no such law. I do blanket them in the very cold or wet. That is the new controversy. Blanketing them is now no good. I do love to reach under it and feel how warm they are, however.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
The blanketing controversy, I think, relates to keeping a horse blanketed all winter. It flattens the coat so it loses it's insulating properties.
I always did the same as you Cat, blanketing only when it's extremely cold or in those freezing spring rains, especially when it's windy.
Nothing sucks the heat out of an animal faster than a wet coat.
I do think a run in shelter is the best option, then the horse can decide where it's the most comfortable.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Someone told me that Martha Stewart keeps her Fresian horses in during the day, and they graze at night so that the sun does not bleach out their black coat and made it look brown.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
WHAT ??? You mean that you don't keep your horses in their stalls every day and out of the blazing sun and out in the fog, rain, sleet, snow, wind, dark , etc. with no buckets of grain and blankets on ? If I did that cruel practice of letting the horses choose where they want to spend their time to my horses, the bleeding heart animal rights humane society would seize all of my horses . ( had the seizure thing happen to a friend as they claimed animal cruelty for not providing proper shelter ). Never mind the fact that horses were out in the elements for millions of years . :eek:

Bobm, I heard a story once about a lady that called animal control for a small herd of draft horses that were pastured near her. It was a COLD snowy day and she claimed that they were on fire.
sFun_doh2.gif

Yup... their snow covered backs were steaming.

I keep Gail blanketed during the winter, but she chooses where she wants to be: in the woods, in the field, in the barn.....
Mostly I blanket her because at 34 she has enough trouble keeping a any weight, she doesn't need to be burning extra energy just to stay warm.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
When I got my mare she was very underweight from foaling. Both my horses have a few years on them. I originally blanketed the mare figuring it would retain calories. My vet concurred. She is now a nice weight. She is a thoroughbred and their coats do not get the thick fur of other houses. When I got my gelding from a very rich barn he came with 4 different weights of blankets. So funny. He gets like a teddy bear. My vet keep her horses out 24/7 with just a shelter that she says they never use.

Latest posts