The Any Wonderful Food You Made From Your Garden Today Thread!

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hi Karenleaf,

I love kohlrabi!! :love I just peel it and slice it thin, salt it and eat it raw! I could eat a million kohlrabis! I think being softball is big enough! I've only had baseball sized kohlrabis.

herbsherbsflowers

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I made squash patties last night to go along with a grape tomatoe and basil salad and some lovely wild caught salmon. We also had oven roasted potatoes and carrots from the CSA.
Squash Pattie recipe

2 cups grated summer squash (any kind zucchini or yellow or pattypan)
1/4 cup chopped onion
salt and pepper
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 egg
olive oil for the pan

Mix all ingredients together in order except for the oil. Put just enough of the olive oil in a hot skillet. Drop four patties into skillet by spoonfuls. Cook like pancakes till brown and set. Flip to other side and cook til golden.

gone 2 seed

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
herbsherbsflowers said:
I made squash patties last night to go along with a grape tomatoe and basil salad and some lovely wild caught salmon. We also had oven roasted potatoes and carrots from the CSA.
Squash Pattie recipe

2 cups grated summer squash (any kind zucchini or yellow or pattypan)
1/4 cup chopped onion
salt and pepper
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 egg
olive oil for the pan

Mix all ingredients together in order except for the oil. Put just enough of the olive oil in a hot skillet. Drop four patties into skillet by spoonfuls. Cook like pancakes till brown and set. Flip to other side and cook til golden.
Yum, Another recipe for all the zucchini that I am picking daily. I like the fact there is no dairy in it.

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ron said:
A good okra gumbo! They love our hot, dry, humid weather we have here.
I so love okra and yearn to grow it here

that is the one vegetable I have trouble finding good and fresh here as well ..when I do ...gumbo and curry for days!!!!

it is just so wonderfully unique in flavor and texture I can not imagine anything replacing it!

have a good recipe Ron? please share!

karanleaf

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks gals for the OK to pick the kohlrabi I wanted to get it last week DH thought it needed to grow more. :lol: So I will go out and harvest both of them. Thank you for the recipes Hattie, :clap

Oh I love Okra, yummy. I may try to grow some next year. I use to grow lots of it when we lived in Kansas But have not had much luck after we moved back home. But will give it a another go.
The squash patty recipe sounds yummy will diffidently use that one. :clap

Soo we may have kohlrabi today. :thumbsup

:happy_flower Karan :D

Ron

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
HiDelight: I really don't use recipes much. WIth okra I just do it two basic ways. Smother it down in a little olive oil, salt and pepper, any spices you want and some peeled tomatoes until the slime ( I hate to use that word, but you know what I mean) goes away and eat it like that. For gumbo, I cook it in chicken stock with some pre-made roux and salt and pepper and herbs and the Cajun trinity (onion, bell pepper and celery) again until it is not slimey and then add sausage, chicken, shrimp, crabs or a combination of those. Of course, when I am in a hurry and want very simple, I just steam or boil the pods whole and sprinkle with vinegar! I hope you can get hold of some good okra soon! I can imagine that you would have trouble growing it in your wonderful cool climate.

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The garlic scapes are ready now, so I made Garlic Scape Pesto:

Garlic Scape Pesto

Ingredients:
1 cup garlic scapes (about 8 or 9 scapes), top flowery part removed, cut into -inch slices
1/3 cup walnuts
cup olive oil
-1/2 cup grated parmigiano
teaspoon salt
black pepper to taste

Method:
Place scapes and walnuts in the bowl of a food processor and whiz until well combined and somewhat smooth. Slowly drizzle in oil and process until integrated. With a rubber spatula, scoop pesto out of bowl and into a mixing bowl. Add parmigiano to taste; add salt and pepper. Makes about 6 ounces of pesto. Keeps for up to one week in an air-tight container in the refrigerator.

For pound short pasta such as penne, add about 2 tablespoons of pesto to cooked pasta and stir until pasta is well coated.

Yum yum! Served on whole wheat pasta, along with a nice heaping helping of fresh peas, lightly steamed - absolutely fantastic!

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:hu I've never tasted kohlrabi, what does it taste like or is similar to?

Latest posts