The Nevada State Fair~what a Dud!

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I thought 4H open to any kid
It is and should be. The problem is that through shows/fairs, diseases are spread because you can't control everyone. There are good people involved. It is not all bad, most is good.

Most of the children involved are not "farm" kids.

Analogy--what has happened to pet industry because of swap meets. Any old junk can and will be shown and sold.

Last edited:

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
Most of the children involved have great access to the best information and supervision, they are not spreading diseases!, They are learning to eliminate and treat if necessary illness, wherever they are. That's a bad rap to hang on kids that are doing a great job while learning.
A Bad Rap indeed!

They, the 4H are raising the best healthiest that there is, and they, when they do sell an animal it is as good or in most cases better than can be found, having received the closest attention any creature could get, closer than a could be lavished on an animal on a large ranch or farm.

Don't try to bad rap these kids.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Valley, try going to county state fairs. I can walk u through any fair youchose and show u animals that should have been destroyed. All it takes is one. The healthiest animal at a fair is only as healthy as the most diseases.

Don't blame the kids, blame adults.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
it's not just county/state fairs in your area that seem to be doing away with animal/agriculture exhibits. my local fair which totes itself as the largest in the state is dwindling when it comes to both animal & agricultural exhibits. i think the exhibits are getting less & less because the fair pays for ribbons & premiums paid out for those items that win. when it comes to having games & rides, the fair makes more money & doesn't loose as much.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Our fair hit an all-time record for the highest premiums and most money made on the livestock auction last year. We are a very small rural area, but our Jr. Fair is one of the most widely attended and highest grossing in the state. The profits all go back into the 4-H program.

The extension service provides mentorship and training for the kids as they work on their project animals. The kids have several required sessions and workshops they must attend in order to be allowed to show their animals. I know the horses require Coggins testing to be brought to the fair, not sure about all the other livestock, but I'm sure there are measures in place. Poultry requires a Pullorum certificate. We've not had poultry exhibits the past two years, not because anyone brought Avian Flu to the fair, but because it has been found in commercial operations in neighboring states and the Commissioner of Agriculture preemptively called for a ban. It was eventually lifted, but not in time to register any poultry projects by the deadline this year or else we would have done one. KY's was lifted and later reinstated after another outbreak in Indiana. The deadly strain of Avian flu has not been found in our state yet.

I've not been to the WV State Fair, but some new friends of ours said they never miss it, so maybe we'll go with them this year.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
So when kids sell their livestock, profits go to 4H? Interesting way to keep it amateur and keep greed from setting in. Here, kids are guaranteed market price and allowed to keep any extra the animal is sold for. So kids of parents who do a lot of business locally are repaid through sale. Highest selling animals are usually largest farmers kids.

Sad part (this is a great program) is when you see kids trying to show their animal that they obviously have spent no time with it. With cattle it's dangerous.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
So when kids sell their livestock, profits go to 4H? Interesting way to keep it amateur and keep greed from setting in. Here, kids are guaranteed market price and allowed to keep any extra the animal is sold for.

Sad part (this is a great program) is when you see kids trying to show their animal that they obviously have spent no time with it. With cattle it's dangerous.

The Michigan State Fair floundered and gave up. The various county fairs are usually good ours especially but we're in a very agricultural based county. Lots of entries in all sorts of categories not just livestock. Just about every kid gets at least market prices. The auctioneers and those bidding make sure of that. It's an really unwritten rule everybody just follows.

If it was my call I would like to see a 50/50 split on sale of livestock. Half goes to the 4H program to fund it pay for awards etc, the other 1/2 goes to the individual. Kids still get something for their efforts and a little competition is good. Besides without the additional funding to the program you potentially won't have a program. Entry fees alone have shown they are not enough.

We too had the poultry ban last year state wide over avian flu concerns. The livestock is closely monitored for overall health and well being however it's still a very stressful environment. People petting animal after animal not cleaning between contact with animals, confined environment, being exposed to so much in a short time is tough on them.

I grew up in the suburbs and married a country girl and now I live in the country too. I didn't do 4H growing up. I think @seedcorn is onto something though with kids. I don't think he's 100% right but thers something to it. How many bring their prized animal to the fair and then bring it back home? I personally would not bring anything to the fair other than horses (because they compete in many venues not just at the fair) that would be coming home with me. It goes to fair it's sold. Either for market or to go home with someone else.

It's not worth the risk. Biosecurity is a big deal. If I saw someone that had really nice say Barred Rocks or French Lops or whatever I was into I'd get their number and contact them later to see about adding to my herd/colony/flock etc.

The only way something gets brought onto my property from the fair is in a shrink wrapped freezer pack on ice.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
When my big sis and I were in 4H we showed market lambs from our ewe. That's just what they were, freezer filler.

I understand what Seed is saying. In my very limited experience in my own local area, what we saw was the kids whose parents bankrolled their project place as Grand and Reserve Champion every year. Their fine animals deserved it I'm sure. That money was theirs to keep.To my knowledge nothing went back into the program from their winnings.
But it seemed a little lopsided to the kids who earned their animal money by doing chores for neighbors and saving any money gifts from special holidays.
You can't compete with an expensive animal that has the genetics and breeding to be the best.

I'm not complaining, it was a wonderful experience, and just being at the fair with your animal, making it look it's best and keeping your clubs aisle neat as a pin was great fun.

Latest posts