The Nevada State Fair~what a Dud!

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
What a huge load of propaganda this is!!! :th Incredible that anyone still believes it...commercial ag gets a huge break out of disease and automatically blames it on the private grower, because their biosecurity measures and the constant drugging of the animals couldn't possibly fail, could it? :rolleyes: I'm wondering just how good all their defenses are if Joe Schmow's little chicken flock down the road or the wild bird population causes them illness?

The fact is, one cannot raise ten thousand birds in an enclosed system with horrible genetics that are designed to only last the bird until the 8 wk old butcher time without contracting disease. They want to blame the home flocks but that dog won't hunt....anyone with half a brain knows you can't raise any creature in that manner without huge disease transmission, be it human or animal. No matter how many vaccines or meds they pour into and on those animals, their immune systems are weak, the husbandry methods are suspect and the whole system has been proven a failure for years upon years but they just keep repeating it because it nets the most profit for them. Disease outbreak in a commercial setup? Government steps in and gives them money to cover their losses, so it's all still profitable, no matter how faulty the methods.

Sorry....no one believes it's the home grower any longer. ;) How in the world does the completely closed systems of commercial poultry contract disease from a 4-H chicken, I wonder? Never the twain shall ever meet, so how does that happen? It doesn't. Disease is common where high numbers are kept and raised in a hurry and fast method to insure the most profit. It's all smoke and mirrors to cast blame elsewhere and discourage people from raising their own meat, turning them into slaves of the commercial producer and at their mercy for their food supply.

Most 4-H animals never make it back home...they are auctioned off at the fair and taken off to slaughter, with a bare few donated back to the kid, which promptly takes it off to slaughter.
Bee, I, along side with Senior Veterinary Students, Phd. Veterinary Graduate Students and Full Professors, have necropsied thousands of farm animals at a major University Veterinary Teaching Hospital and the vast majority of infectous issues were from small farms and from newby back yard farmers. large professional farms have a Veterinarian on it's staff and if and when an issue is encountered, they bring in several dead and living animals showing symtoms as well as healthy animals for a complete necropsy and bacteriology study and then if an issue warents it ,we whent to the facility with University Veterinarians to address any issue that shows up. We always follow up any outbreak , be it a corporate farm or a hobby farmer untill it is dealt with and solved. Oh yea, the professional operations own and raise the best genetic strains available in their industry. You see, only a fool would try to build their business with inferior stock. Your statement is full of inconsistansies and are very similar by those that are presented as facts that are against any commercial agricultural business venture.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
A couple of years ago my sister and I decided to go the fair and see and eat all that we did when we were young. What a disappointment!
There was no hand sewn beautiful clothing, no homemade jellies, no homegrown produce, and very few animals. I was actually hoping to buy some chicks or pullets. There were none to be found. For some reason that corn dog didn't taste as good and there were no hard red candy apples. What has happened to those? Now you only see caramel apples. :(

Mary

Poka_Doodle

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This is disappointing. Or county fair is partly a carnival and a bit of livestock. The sad part about some fairs around here is that plenty of people don't even know about the livestock.

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
Well, I don't believe, because I can't find that to be true.

By the by, we had a poultry ranch, Sold poultry to markets, restaurants. We trucked them in, when we could no longer produce enough for our market, the conditions the chickens were raised in were not very good.

I think, from what I have seen and the research I've done, most of this after reading the couple of post on this thread, that the quality of animals raised by non commercial grower who show their pride at the shows and fairs, in most cases, exceeds those raised in large herds.
Even those grown/raised by kids of large ranches.

I've looked at the animals, looked at their skin, their eyes, been permitted to check their teeth and hooves.

We keep a closed herd and watch what comes in contact with our animals including their feed, these people do the same. I can see that.

I've seen CL in large herds. In smaller herds this type of thing is noticed.

No! I don't buy that, it's contrary to what I've found, seen with my own eyes.

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
New Castle Disease is another that will from time to time be found in Commercial breeders no family farms. If and when that type of thing shows up is or having come from, and has always been cultured in large, packed growing conditions.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Clark County, Washigton has more small holder horses per capita in the country than anywhere else. I whent to the latest Clark County Fair, there were 5 people showing sheep with only 14 sheep, 4 cattle ranches showing their show string with an average of 3 each. 2 people showing a total of 6 pigs, there were a total of 13 chickens and 2 turkeys there . MANY empty pens. The public viewers were few and far between. However there were MANY many spaces in pavilians selling all types of trinkets and what not as well as food hawkers. Many carnival rides and exhibits hawking their wares for $$$s. The crowds were shoulder to shoulder. There was also a dog jumping for distance into a pool of water. There was a horse exhibit by 4H kids with 23 stalls filled with several different breeds presented. The quality of these horses was iffy at best, but most of the horses were pretty well groomed by the 4H kids and showed that they had pride in their animals.