Tomato List

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
well, here's what i'm hoping to get started from my collection of tomato seeds this year. some of these are seeds i've had for many years and i'm trying to see if they will sprout. i really need to use up what i have before getting more! :lol:

1. Rutgers Select (old)
2. Juliet Hybrid (old)
3. Patio Hybrid (old)
4. Celebrity Hybrid (old)
5. Tess's Land Race Current (new this year!)
6. Oregon Spring (last year's seeds)
7. Jubile (somewhat old)
8. Russian Queen (new this year!)
9. Mortgage Lifter (new this year)
10. Black Krim (last year's seeds)
11. Money Maker (last year's seeds)
12. Black from Tula (last year's seeds)
13. Black Brandywine (last year's seeds)
14. Principe Borghese (new this year)
15. Gilbertie Paste (old)
16. Beefsteak (grown before but seeds are new)
17. Cherokee Purple (last year's seeds)
18. Giant Belgium (last year's seeds)
19. Roman Candle (new this year)
20. Super Marmande (old)
21. Pink Oxheart (generic-not sure which strain)
22. Marglobe Supreme (new this year)
23. German Johnson (last year's seeds)
24. Sub Arctic Plenty (new this year)
25. Roma (Baker's Creek seeds-new this year)
26. Red Roma (probably same strain-last year's seeds)
27. Roma VF (old)
28. Roma VFN (new this year)
29. Mountain Gold (1998 seeds i'm seeing if they are still viable by germination test)

ets, and this is not the complete list of what i have saved since i've been gardening! :p

barefootgardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
digitS' said:
You have one of those Airdrie, Alberta tomatoes, Ginny.

And, you've got a whole bunch of Eastern European types! Seems to make sense for those of us up here so far north.

The growing season climate here is defined by some as Continental Mediterranean. It is similar to the mountains of northern Spain or a small part of the mountains in Italy. I have this idea that I can grow Mediterranean varieties if . . . IF they are early. The problem with that kind of thinking seems to be that there are very few early varieties from that part of the world! If you can think of any, I'd sure appreciate knowing them :).

Steve
who grows both Thessaloniki & Rainy's Maltese with some success
Steve, Pantano Romanesco is a mid-seaon Roman variety.. It is a realy good , all purpose red tomato. Very productive, ribbed fruit up to12 oz. Very good flavor. I cook with it, juice it, can it, and slice for sandwiches. Been growng many years.. A favorite of mine.

Costoluto Genovese Italian, mid-season, medium red ribbed beefstk, slicer, canner, Very productive..Has more seeds

Fisih Lake Oxheart..Lg pink/red heart. Early for a heart..Excellent flavor.Sem piroductive or me.

If you want to try any, I can send you a few seeds of each I saved.. Send me pm

Ginny

barefootgardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Chickie'sMomaInNH said:
well, here's what i'm hoping to get started from my collection of tomato seeds this year. some of these are seeds i've had for many years and i'm trying to see if they will sprout. i really need to use up what i have before getting more! :lol:

1. Rutgers Select (old)
2. Juliet Hybrid (old)
3. Patio Hybrid (old)
4. Celebrity Hybrid (old)
5. Tess's Land Race Current (new this year!)
6. Oregon Spring (last year's seeds)
7. Jubile (somewhat old)
8. Russian Queen (new this year!)
9. Mortgage Lifter (new this year)
10. Black Krim (last year's seeds)
11. Money Maker (last year's seeds)
12. Black from Tula (last year's seeds)
13. Black Brandywine (last year's seeds)
14. Principe Borghese (new this year)
15. Gilbertie Paste (old)
16. Beefsteak (grown before but seeds are new)
17. Cherokee Purple (last year's seeds)
18. Giant Belgium (last year's seeds)
19. Roman Candle (new this year)
20. Super Marmande (old)
21. Pink Oxheart (generic-not sure which strain)
22. Marglobe Supreme (new this year)
23. German Johnson (last year's seeds)
24. Sub Arctic Plenty (new this year)
25. Roma (Baker's Creek seeds-new this year)
26. Red Roma (probably same strain-last year's seeds)
27. Roma VF (old)
28. Roma VFN (new this year)
29. Mountain Gold (1998 seeds i'm seeing if they are still viable by germination test)
Actually, you will be adding three more to your list..I sent some out in the mail to you today!! :)

PS: I have grown a few on your list before. Tess Land Race Current is one I had growing near one of my semi dwarf cherry trees. The vines got so tall, and entwined around the tree, so when the little fruit ripened, it looked like it had a ton of cherries on it ..LOL..Very productive, a real tang/acid tomato taste..

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ducks the only thing 2 horse people can agree on? The 3rd one is wrong.

Same goes for dog people.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
thanks Barefootgardener!

my mom is going to roll her eyes when she sees all the tomatoes i'll be growing this year. some of what i'm starting will go to her. i wasn't a huge fan of tomatoes till i grew something other than cherries which she really liked, and a few of the medium sized types which i was so so about about their taste. i got into the Roma tomatoes about 10 years ago and loved having them growing since they don't have much goo but are mostly meat with little seed. i loved having them chopped up with a little bit of olive oil and lemon basil on top of a pizza. yum! it's also good smeared on a piece of toasted bread with some balsamic vinegar.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'd probably better not add more to my list this year, Ginny, but the offer of the Pantano Romanesco sure sounds good to me! Tomatofest says it is a 70 day variety and that is early enough. Also, they say it is a 12 ounce tomato!

The gardener from whom I got the first Thessaloniki seed (actually a tomato but it came with seeds :)) also grew Genovese Costoluto. They did real nice for him but he lives probably over 1,000 feet lower in elevation than here.

I think I should try Black Krim sometime but DW doesn't like black tomatoes. There are others from the Crimean that should be okay here but that one gets such good press! I've read that Black Ethiopian and Japanese Black Trifele are both from that part of the world and NOT from Ethiopia or Japan ;). They are probably too late in maturing.

Steve

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Did my homework on Pantano Romanesco and wow Ginny's right that sounds like an absolute winner! Steve you better take her up on this!!!!

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I planted on Feb. 20th:

Risentravbe because they were free seeds.
German Lunchbox because they were free seeds, but also I did plant some really late last year and the plants had a lot of fruit. They did not ripen enough to really see how they tasted.
Supersweet 100 because we like them.
Sweet Baby Girl because on Gurney's website it says, "Taste-test judges called it the sweetest, best-tasting red cherry.
Brandywine because we like these.
Early Wonder because not that big and early at 55 days.

I planted a month earlier than last year, so I am going to plant more this weekend, but not sure what I want to plant. I have a lot of cherry tomatoes because my son likes them the best and really I do too. I do not like tomatoes unless it has this certain taste and then I will eat a lot, but I am guilty of getting plants mixed up in the garden and going to do the best I can this year to mark things where I know for sure what is what.

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I promise my DH I would cut back on Tomatoes this year we will see...I planted 30 plants last year... I have not purchased seed this year but I may get the urge as I look through the catalogs so there may be additions to this list

Burpee Roma
Marglobe - heirloom
Mortgage Lifter- heirloom
Johnny's Green Zebra -heirloom
Ferry Morse Supersweet 100 - large cherry devine flavor
Red Cherry - not as sweet
Baker Creek Heirloom Bi-color Cherry
Orange Banana
Carbon
Brandywine pink
Yellow pear
Nineveh a wonderful prolific 3 oz red... from Mosel Iraq

I also have a Cherokee purple that was sent to me a few years ago from someone on Backyard Chicken Forum

Latest posts