Tomato Pictures 2014

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm finally seeing the first ripe Early Girls this weekend. We're also loaded with green tomatoes across the garden here. TON of rain & cool temps has been tough on us this year.

Blight has take. It's toll here too Even with mulching & pruning and treatment I'm staying in front of it but it's not without casualties. Lost all my San Marzanos, and I think I'm down to my last Mr Stripey that might actually produce ripe fruit. Not holding my breath on that.

Lemon Boys, Early Girls, Cherokee purples, and Black Krims are all covered in fruit and seem to be doing ok despite the weather. Although with how things are going I'm wondering if Ill be a counter ripening and canning after Halloween. Ugh

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The first of the Woodle (Orange):

Except, the only orange ones are not ripe. Fine with me that they are red :).

Typically, they are a very mild, early tomato. They benefit from the Mrs Dash.

What is not very typical for an heirloom, the small plants are absolutely loaded with fruit! And, boy are these welcome :). Everything else is about to come on but little Woodle tries real hard and deserves a place in my garden.

The orange and unripe fruit weighs 3oz. It is the usual size and I've had them up to 5oz. Oddly, various sizes on the same plant at the same time, seems to be a Woodle way of doing things.

:) Steve

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not sure if it was the complaining or the threatening, but it finally worked. I have tomatoes! :D Still waiting on the bigger ones to ripen up. I've got 3 monster 'Delicious' that I'm beside myself waiting on them to ripen. But here's today's haul and some from a couple days ago combined. I made most of them into spaghetti sauce today for tomorrow's dinner, except for the 'Golden Eggs' which were quickly gobbled up after their photo was taken.

Ava had to have an Easter basket to collect hers in, definitely makes it more fun I guess. ;)
IMGP7168_web.jpg

IMGP7169_web.jpg

Hal

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Not sure if it was the complaining or the threatening, but it finally worked. I have tomatoes! :D Still waiting on the bigger ones to ripen up. I've got 3 monster 'Delicious' that I'm beside myself waiting on them to ripen. But here's today's haul and some from a couple days ago combined. I made most of them into spaghetti sauce today for tomorrow's dinner, except for the 'Golden Eggs' which were quickly gobbled up after their photo was taken.

Ava had to have an Easter basket to collect hers in, definitely makes it more fun I guess. ;)
View attachment 3824
View attachment 3825
Wow, that is nice!

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Boy Cane, when those get ripe your going to be eating lots of sandwiches! They look good!

...I was just wondering though...are you actually chained to your garden?...

sSig_rofl.gif

Actually, there is a bit of a long story behind the chain - but, no, it's not attached to the garden. th.jpg

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow, those Indigo Rose really are something different. I hear they are very good for you, higher in some kind of antioxidant, but I forget which one.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Have you noticed how the earliest Early Girls are often heart-shaped? I think it is kinda true with some other varieties.

Maybe it has to do with limited seed development when the fruit began to set.

I've got 2 Bloody Butchers on the kitchen table, HPQ. They may be fully ripe by tomorrow.

:) Steve

HotPepperQueen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wow, those Indigo Rose really are something different. I hear they are very good for you, higher in some kind of antioxidant, but I forget which one.
Yeah, they fell right off the vine so I thought they were ripe....NOPE! Bit into a sour green tomato. They are sitting in the window ripening now. They are just totally different than anything I have ever grown or seen so it's been trial and error this summer.

Latest posts