Tomato Pictures 2014

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
DSCF0885.JPG

Guess who's having tomato sandwiches for lunch.....

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
IMG_20140824_062500_kindlephoto-17595399.jpg

Woodle Orange! A little excited because it "evolved" back to orange. The original seed must have been from a cross-pollinated fruit.

I have grown Woodle for several years. Dandy little tomato. It is always red. Here's how Baker Creek describes it: "75 days. Large, round, smooth fruit are nearly perfect in shape, being a brilliant tangerine color."

Well, this plant has overcome the dominant red gene. Kicked it out! They have been neither large nor round. That's okay. They haven't been with the 75 day group either! No, red or orange, these are right there with the Early Girls. I've got 3 reds and this 1 orange plant this year.

I've always enjoyed the flavor. I guess, orange or not, I will need to stop calling it "Woodle" but I like that name!

Next --- @marshallsmyth 's de-hybridized Lemon Boy! The plants are doing well and, although I haven't tasted any, the fruit is just ripening! It can't go by that name. Besides, I don't like the lemon idea! Maybe all I need is a woodle inspiration.

:) Steve
edit to correct some English

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
IMG_20140824_071802_kindlephoto-20681033.jpg

There they are. Brought to you from a little lake in northern California, by way of the border between ID/WA!

Sunflower yellow, a good 6oz with a nice, bright fruity flavor! No, not lemony ... I'd say more orange. No, not back to the color!

Anyway, the plant label says "lemon boy" on 1 side and "the General" on the other. Maybe Marshall can suggest something more general and not so military.

Nice flavor!

Steve :)
edit: English again

Last edited:

Hal

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
View attachment 4131
Woodle Orange! A little excited because it "evolved" back to orange. The original seed must have been from a cross-pollinated fruit.

I have grown Woodle for several years. Dandy little tomato. It is always red. Here's how Baker Creek describes it: "75 days. Large, round, smooth fruit are nearly perfect in shape, being a brilliant tangerine color."

Well, this plant has overcome the dominant red gene. Kicked it out! They have been neither large nor round. That's okay. They haven't been with the 75 day group either! No, red or orange, these are right there with the Early Girls. I've got 3 reds and this 1 orange plant this year.

I've always enjoyed the flavor. I guess, orange or not, I will need to stop calling it "Woodle" but I like that name!

Next --- @marshallsmyth 's de-hybridized Lemon Boy! The plants are doing well and, although I haven't tasted any, the fruit is just ripening! It can't go by that name. Besides, I don't like the lemon idea! Maybe all I need is a woodle inspiration.

:) Steve
edit to correct some English
Such a nice orange colour, the dehybridized Lemon Boy is also quite nice.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm very pleased with the "Lemon Boy," Hal.

We will see how the flavour holds out over the remainder of the season but I'd describe it as outstanding. I don't know how it compares to the real Lemon Boy. I was always tempted by the days-to-maturity but never bought the seed.

I'll be saving seed from the Woodle orange "one." You know, there is really a tomato someone named the Orange One ..! Shoot.

Steve
Marshall, your Safeway Cluster has some disease problems. I'd guess Septoria. It may well have been brought on by windstorm damage. Everything suffered but I'm looking at Safeway Cluster with a prejudiced eye ... the plants aren't as bad as that Mystery Girl tomato I had a couple of years back but losing disease-resistance must be real possible when dehybridizing varieties ...

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sounds like that Safeway Cluster didn't get the dominant disease resistance.

Shoot!

But the dehybridized Lemon Boy did get that dominant resistance. Howzabout calling her DIGIT's DON'T SHOOT ME tomato?

Latest posts