Truck up date

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Retreads except on farm equipment (don't know if any are out there) and inside tires on semi trailers, are outlawed in Indiana.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
could do a thesis paper on this ..!!! but i won't..
retreads are great... as long as they are retreaded properly
the 4 main reasons you see gators in the road.
1. there was a mis-cure or a leaking envelope during the vulcanization step and the final inspector missed it< which happens >
thats when you see the whole tread or a good portion of it on the road with lots of tread on it....

2. the tire was retreaded to many times or too many repairs..
thats when you see what looks like a bomb went off and there's pieces everywhere in the road..

3. the driver did not do a proper pti<pre trip inspection> and did not check all tires for proper air pressure and look for an possible punctures.
low air pressure is really the number one killer of a tires...

4. big rig ran over something going down the highway and the tire blew.... not much the driver can do about that.

the list of why a tire blows on the highway goes on and on....... lately i have seen more light truck or their trailer tires in the road, let's face it new tires are not cheap so a lot of mom and pop business and homeowners opt to buy used tires.. you get what you payed for..

now the chinese are flooding the market with cheap cheap tires, they're like a bic lighter once it runs out of fuel you throw it away.. these tires are so cheap you can get a new chinese for the same as an retread tire. we have a list of them at the inspection stations to reject automatically and the ones that are not on the list we hold and call the customer that if we do cap them we do limit the warranty on them... why we reject them very poor quality and barely passes nhsb <national highway safety broad> standards.
we have a couple customers that we retread their 17.5 farm truck tires and again we do limit the warranty on them due to their use.

@baymule there's no glue on retreads...just 3m double sided tape allowed in texas....:lol:

@bobm if you do not have any reaction time to avoid that gator in the road... stop driving so close to the car/truck in front of you. give yourself one car length per every 10 mph you're going ...be pro-active instead of re-active..

was taught the smith system of driving and all drivers should use this everytime you drive down the road...

1. Aim High
The first rule for this method is “Aim high in steering”. Staying alert of the dangers and traffic ahead not only avoids rear-end collisions, but it also alerts other drivers behind your vehicle to slow down. The driver should steer and focus their attention high, so as to view the road as whole and not just a few feet ahead.
2. The Big Picture
“Be aware of your surroundings at all times” may seem obvious to say, but distracted drivers are just as dangerous as intoxicated ones. Erratic and angry drivers take up a large portion of the traffic we see daily, so avoid major accidents by noticing how other drivers behave on the road. Having the whole picture means that you are doing your part to keep your vehicle as safe as possible while moving 1000ft a second. There are a variety of hazards between your own vehicle and other drivers, and a keen awareness of these dangers will reduce these risks
3. Leave Yourself an Out
The fourth principle of the Smith System states to leave yourself a way out. This means ensure that other drivers do not box you in while selecting their lanes. Do not follow other vehicles too closely, and always anticipate what choices other drivers make.

happy driving .......

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Major... the tire retread separation on the highway did not happen to me, but to the car right in front of me. I guess that my post made it sound that it happened to me... sorry about that !
After he stopped, I stopped behind him to offer him a ride or any help that he needed. Note: When I was a kid, we lived next door the the Chief of Police and there were always 2-4 squad cars parked right in front of his and our house. We were always over talking to all of the cops and I learned all of the traffic rules and safty tips from them. One of my boyhood friends became a deputy sherrif in S. Cal. Orang County. My daughter's friend is a Ca. Highway Patrol Head of Highway Accident Investigator for Central. Ca.. I wear one of his official Highway Patrol windbreaker jackets with logos that he gave to me all the time.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks Major. Lots of great advice. I spend plenty of time on the road each day with my school bus and see lots of crazy stuff. Mostly impatient drivers that can not stay behind and pass dangerously or hit the gas to avoid having to stop for my reds! You see them at traffic lights all the time, no time for extra stops. If I have some one run my Reds, almost all are on the PHONE, too. :(

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
personally i think that everyone should ride in a big rig for a day to see what they have to put up with, not saying that all big rig drivers are angels they can be butt holes as well. imho those drivers are from those fly by night parking lot truck driver training schools, here today gone tomorrow.

but one thing you have to remember as a little car driver, the average big rig driver is going down the road with a loads up to 80,000 pounds and is 65'+ long they can not just zip to change lanes, what that said if you see a truck with it's turn signals on slow down and flash your lights and let the driver change lanes most of them will " blink their trailer lights at you to say thank you". you have to remember again lots of these drivers are not familiar with the roads/interchanges that you take for granted every day.....it only takes a couple seconds out of your day to do this kind gesture ...

everything in the world is delivered by big rigs......

i believe this thread has been hi-jacked......:lol: