Victorian remodel -- beauty or the beast?

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
New pictures! The siding is going up. The house is taking on its historic beauty.
Remember one of the earlier photos....
rob's  house3.JPG
My Cee Cee and my Love offering advice to son.

The first section to be finished.
house1.JPG

Son way too high for Mom to watch work.
house4.JPG

Siding done to the eaves.
house2.JPG

Finished front siding somewhere behind all the scaffolding.
house3.JPG

I think it's going to be the best looking house on the block when it's done. All the structural beauty of the old Victorian despite putting on vinyl siding...and no future painting of the whole house. Touching up the trim should be easy compared to scraping, priming, and painting everything over and over every few years.

The only 'tell' is the thin J-channel around the wooden trim. On the other hand, a neighbor's historic house was fully painted 2 years ago and has a lot of peeling paint on all sides already.

Just saw what son did with that squirrel hole at the peak. Amazing! He built a "cornerstone" to fill and cover the hole. Need a picture of that! It looks like it would have been original to the house.

Last edited:

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Red, I simply LOVE your color scheme there and love how it all looks too....that's a beautiful house!!!! You have good, good instincts on color and design, that's for sure. It's a painted lady! I always love those.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
The colors are all daughter-in-law. She's an artist with several lines of artistic work. She chose the colors and dictated where they were to go for her house. I agree she did a good job with her choices.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Don't know what the plans are for the porch posts but those are the only thing that stand out as not quite belonging on that house...too skinny and tall and too plain. They look like frail sticks compared to the rest of the structure...sort of like a temporary support until the real thing is erected. Any plans for those posts?

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Love that gable, love the colors. I think orange is a under used color, people think it is only for Halloween, I love it. Are they still Planning on moving in with you?

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Don't know what the plans are for the porch posts but those are the only thing that stand out as not quite belonging on that house...too skinny and tall and too plain. They look like frail sticks compared to the rest of the structure...sort of like a temporary support until the real thing is erected. Any plans for those posts?
The posts are to be wrapped so they are 8 inches square and then there will be added trim (see the grand's bed). The porch railing is to be rebuilt following an original photo of the house. The porch roof has already been rebuilt as well as the trim below the porch deck. Railings will match the lower trim eventually.

Here's Maverick's headboard and bed foot so far. The legs started as 2 x 4s that were wrapped with oak. There's still trim and foot details to be added.
Bed1.JPG
bed2.JPG

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oengus wouldn't move out of the way in the footboard photo. That's a fine picture of him. Most of the ones I take of that wiggly, energetic dog are not good.

@Beekissed, there is a picture at the beginning of this thread that shows a photo of the house as it was originally.

Latest posts