What Are You Planting Today, This Week, This Month?

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow :frow

Hi Steve,

A few years ago I tried the slit fencing materials but it was not so useful to me as the crops could be seen & accessed by my chickens & bugs etc so that was when I first started using fleece.

The fleece fencing works well for me because my raised beds are only 1metre x 1metre or 2metre x 1metre. At the moment I only have 5 of the small ones & 2 of the larger ones but I hope to have a couple more next year.

Using the fleece as fencing was particularly useful with my pea & broad bean plantings in the difficult late Spring we had earlier this year. I sowed both crops directly into their raised beds in early March -- the beds had been covered in old glass windows or rigid-plastic throughout the hard freeze we had from early January to March (our coldest winter for 19 years).

After sowing the seeds I kept the glass/rigid-plastic over the seedlings until they were too tall for the space. I intended just to throw the floating fleece over the tops of the plants but we had such high winds at the time it was hard to keep it in place so I came up with the idea of the canes pushed into the corners of the beds & pegging (using cloths-pegs from the washing line) the fleece round the beds. As the peas grew I put in pea sticks to support them. The walls really helped a lot & they grew very fast & eventually as the weather warmed up & they started flowering I was able to take the walls away. I had my best crop of peas ever & they went on for a long time. They were "Carouby de Marsanne" & were a pure delight as I could use them as mange-tout or eat the slightly older peas raw (my favourite treat. The broad beans responded to the same treatment in much the same way.

I also direct sowed my Runner Beans "Painted Lady" into a third bed in earl April round a teepee stucture & draped this stucture with fleece until the beans were halfway up the canes, by which time the weather had turned very warm. They were very productive & I was harvesting them till last week. I have left some huge old pods on the vines to dry off for seed-saving.

I also grew sweet-corn with the help of the fleece in the early stages but as the summer got very wet (& hardly sunny at all ) that was not so successful.

I also peg fleece over arched supports for salad vegetables & low growing items. It helps a lot against carrot-fly etc. Next year I will use it over my strawberries ( I didn't grow any this year).

When the weather gets very chilly I use up all my old (& partly damaged pieces of fleece to tuck round & over any endangered plant). You can double up the thickness in low temperatures (best used as a short-term measure as the plants will suffer from low light levels).

:rose Hattie :rose

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ok, all this talk and no pictures?? I am enamored with this 'fleece'! What does it look like? I bet it is very odd to the eye to see it draped about everywhere. Is it in colors? or is it only in White? For some reason my mind keeps picturing all this white drapery everywhere! It could simulate snow I guess.

Can we see? Pretty Please! LOL :love

Ron

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Greensage45 said:
Ok, all this talk and no pictures?? I am enamored with this 'fleece'! What does it look like? I bet it is very odd to the eye to see it draped about everywhere. Is it in colors? or is it only in White? For some reason my mind keeps picturing all this white drapery everywhere! It could simulate snow I guess.

Can we see? Pretty Please! LOL :love

Ron
Ron, go to www.GardensAlive.com and type floating row cover in the search ..you can read all about it. I love the stuff.. tho costly, theirs can be used several seasons.

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks Hattie, thanks 4grand! :frow

I would still like to see your gardens Hattie! LOL hint hint!

That cover material is really nice; allowing 85% of light through would certainly allow me with more Summer-time growing of greens! I wonder how much longer my tomatoes would grow by using this? I will have to consider this product in the future.

Thanks again,

Ron :bouquet

beefy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
today i rooted a bunch of different kinds of coleus in a big flattish pot tht i can pamper over the winter. apparently we had a frost here one night already and alot of my coleus got a little freezer burn. it was only like 38 tho.

also i started some daylily seeds.

cwhit590

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I'm not planting anything...too cold up here! :rolleyes:

The other day I did move an 'Alexandria' apline strawberry plant from a container into the ground. I started it this spring from seed from Johnny's. It took off and even has given me some little strawberries this fall! We've had a few frosts and it still has berries ripening on it. :p I hope it makes it thru the winter fine....:fl

beefy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
today i planted some irises that i started from seed and yesterday i stuck a few daylily prolifs in the ground.

cwhit590

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
beefy said:
today i planted some irises that i started from seed and yesterday i stuck a few daylily prolifs in the ground.
Daylily prolifs? is that the name for the sprouts that you see occasionally sticking out of the flower stalk (scape)? or are they something else?

Latest posts