What Are You Planting Today, This Week, This Month?

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
On the 20th, I planted Sugar Snaps, spinach and collards in the garden. That very night, a storm came through and dumped over 5" of rain (5" rain gauge was slam full)....so it may wind up being a "do-over", just have to wait a few more days and see.

elijahboy

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
well today i planted black brandywines

i am kinda of experimenting

i have never grown anything ot eat

so i tried the take out food method mini greenhouse

out of my 25 seeds i only put 4 of them in my kfc container

i was scared to use all 25 in such a small space

hope this works

only if i can remember to bring them in at night because it will be below freezing here a couple nights this week

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Wow... watching you guys plant already is making me nuts. I'm already stir crazy... and I was just breaking ICE out of my chickens waterer today.

I did plant some lettuce and radish in pots and put them in my greenhouse/cold frame yesterday. Put a couple pots of 4 o'clocks out in the greenhouse just to see what happens. Probably too early still.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
No whining, vfem!! You will be digging in the dirt months before I will... Be thankful you are not in zone 4!!! Think spring!

desertwillow

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Hey! I'm in zone 8 and I still can't plant much. Hubby planted some peas today but we have another storm coming in tomorrow that is supposed to be very cold and they're predicting snow flurries for us at 2500 feet. I broke ice off the chickens water this morning also. I was about to plant some turnip and mustard seed but decided to wait until after this storm. I have new leaves coming on my roses but they normally do all right.

desertcat

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I went to Lowe's for light bulbs on Saturday and came home with 2 huge dormant raspberries. Figured if I couldn't get in the garden, they could hang out in the barn for a while. Sunday, cabin fever got the best of me, so I grabbed the shovel and headed out through the snow to see if I could dig a hole. Short answer is Heck Yeah! :weee

The dirt wasn't even too wet to come off the shovel, so now I have 2 more raspberries waiting for spring in their new homes. Sure felt good to play in the dirt.

desertwillow

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I don't think a lot of people realize that when you live in the desert you get very cold weather, wind and sometimes snow. Our average rainfall is 3 inches a year and we've passed that mark already. I'm babying an ocotillo cactus that I stuck in the ground last spring. Nothing on the label told me how to treat it so it's just been watered from the roots. I just found out that you have to water the stalks (for want of a better word) to get it to leaf and bloom. It's still alive and am hoping the rain has wet it enough to get it to leaf out. When the rain has passed I'll water it once a week besides the ground watering.

I have sweet peas to plant when it clears up. Snow expected tonight and tomorrow morning which won't be much so might get to plant on Thursday.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Lets just say I played in the dirt yesterday and ended up moving a tree into a pot on the deck....

Hubby broke some ground on yet another garden bed.

However, today is another day of freezing rain, so yesterday feels wasted... almost....

Check out what I found in a pot on the deck:

5842_daffodils1.jpg

Daffodil bulbs in a pot :D

desertwillow

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
That's good. My daffodils are coming up also. I think the crocus are coming up. Whatever they are it's not daffodils. I have a piece of an ocotillo cactus that broke off or bent when I was checking to soo if it was still alive. This 12' piece was green inside so it's been planted in a pot to see what it will do.

msbear

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
:frow Im still buried under 3+ feet of snow but Im thinking of starting my winter garden... where you start seeds in plastic containers and leave them outdoors in a sunny location.. I can't remember what that is called. But, all of my early spring crops can get started and I need to be thinking of starting my tomatoes indoors. What is everyone else doing right now in zone 6?

Latest posts