What Are You Planting Today, This Week, This Month?

BrowningI

Sprout
Reaction score
Okay, I cooked blueberry muffins the other day and I was thinking like hey, why don't you plant some blueberries? I think it's too late to plant them this year but I'll definitely give them a try next May or June. I've found some tutorials on planting blueberries but I'm still excited to get some advice from someone who has already planted them.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey Browning, welcome to TEG! :frow I can't help with the berries, but there are several discussions about them in older posts and there are lots of folks who have them. I'm sure someone will be along soon who can help you out.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
This week I will be planting BENEFICIAL MICROBIALS!

One of the mixes I purchased has lots of beneficial soil bacterias in it. i am wanting those because I want the beneficials to outcompete the harmful bacterias that are surely present. The same goes for the package of beneficial Mycorrhizae soil fungus. I want them to outcompete harmful fungi and rusts.

This winter's plan for my soil is to layer new soil over the only lightly surface worked soil already there. My garden soil is more and ore forest compost. It shrinks, lowers, at some places it did a lot. The soil development plan is now at a stage where I am only adding volume on the top with only a small mixed layer between. This way I will be now allowing the strands of microscopic to mostly grow rather than breaking it up. Even with raised beds of mainly compost this kind of TILTH takes several years to develop.

I've been at no till since I started my garden, but now I am going to NO TURNING THE SOIL OVER, the next development stage. Oh, part of my south bed will be a year behind on this because I will be moving about half the mixed soil there to surface my berry bed. Also, I will be making 2 more small but deep "bonus beds" to my west front extension with forest compost layered over this year's garden bean plants that I am piling up now as the varieties and plants that are done and finished are pulled. (Some hopefully will not be "done" until December.)

As a patch is "done", I will "plant" the micros.

I am GROWING my soil. In winter I tend my soil. I'm just an ole hippy that way.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Me too Marshall.
Mt Rotmore is back in action and about 4' tall (for now). Son of Rotmore is right next door and is about 2' tall. Both got chicken poo and a nice long drink from the hose last evening. I'll be making mushroom tea for them soon too.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I planted garlic today. I may need to mulch it deeper and I might just rake some leaves over what I have, which is some old hay from the rabbit beds. I planted 160 hardneck and 10 elephant garlic. Most of it is Chesnok Red and then several other kinds, but I don't remember the names.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Is anyone trying something totally different in the garden this year? Not just a different variety of something you've grown before - but something you've never grown before?
Since I didn't get very much past the basics last year, roughly half of mine will be new to me. I never got around to planting the beans
(yes Marshall.... a garden completely devoid of beans! Don't stone me
sFi_rockthrow.gif
)
And a small variety of summer squashes will be new. And watermelon!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
A forum moderator somewhere else might jump in and move this to it's own thread, different sub-forum, unrelated title like "Rough Beans" and throw us all off-track . . . Since, that probably won't happen and because you obviously find beans amazingly scintillating, Cane', I'll go there. (Having to practice the word "scintillating" in case Heather uses it again ;).) And here:

I've grown beans for dry beans (years ago & last year), garbanzos, lentils, even azuki . . . green beans, short & tall -- how about mung beans?? DW claims that I've done that before but she's just remembering me sprouting mung bean. That would be a purpose for mung beans in my garden but I'm thinking that I can try using them as a dessert :).

Yeah! That was one of my hopes with azuki beans but I was dismayed, stunned just about (!), that the azuki pods didn't hold mature seeds! Shrunken, wrinkled things - man, this just is NOT Japan :(!

Anyway, that red bean paste that is so sweet & flavorful in Asian desserts - that's azuki. There are also desserts that use mung beans! They are usually, what do we call it (?), well, kind of "jelled" and made with cornstarch or that sort of thing. But, I'm hoping that the mung bean paste would be good in place of azuki in pastries. If I can't use them for that (or, the other) - then, bean sprouts for my winter bowls of noodles!

Steve :)

Latest posts