What Did You Do In The Garden?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
We were freezing, soaking rain and blamed climate.
t111018.gif
ireful2.gif

Somebody local said that they grew a Siberian tomato, maybe this?:
http://www.heirloom-organics.com/guide/va/1/guidetogrowingsiberian.html
Are you familiar with it?

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score

Larisa

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
did the rain and cold kill many of your plants?

I think that the eggplant and watermelons left me. Rains flooded us.
Even the drainage system can not cope. Well, that cabbage is not afraid of water. A week later, we are waiting for the heat, it was 42.8 ° F, will be 87.8 ° F.
IMG_1344.JPG

Larisa

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Here we can buy "Siberian precocious." I do not planted, but now read about it (thank you) and will set it. I bought tomatoes Ural breeding. They are not afraid of the cold and do not get sick. I like cherry, which I accidentally bought in a supermarket. This is a real tomato flavor. They grow in a greenhouse, indeterminnat growth. Now they are in bloom. But they are growing rapidly.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I hung out in the shady corner weeding with wind gusts above 30mph, this afternoon. I wasn't there at that moment. Instead, I was several miles away trying to get the pickup door unlocked at the farm supply store. Just made it inside before the hail started!

I checked 5 dahlias sprayed with spinosad and 5 sprayed with the systemic. One earwig on the systemic plants. Four were on the spinosad treated. Three earwigs were on the same plant. I bet I would have found 20+ on those 10 plants before I sprayed! The bugs were moving but they may not be after another day or two.

Picked peas for the first time and we had them for dinner. They sure are good!

Steve

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
I heavily watered a good 5 inches from the storms yesterday. :gig
Three of the slips that grew from my sweet potatoes had many, many roots, so I potted them up and put them on the porch ledge. I started some flower seeds--if they sprout, I'll let you know. The package looks like a light purple daisy and is supposed to be a perennial.
My okra have doubled. So have the beets I planted with them. Should be a good crop of both. THIS year I've pulled back from my vegetable gardening. I still need to put my sweet peppers and jalepanos in their bed and I have 13 more Mortgage Lifter leggy tomatoes to put in. Since I keep adding compost, 2017 should have even better soil than this year, where one area has that beautiful easy to dig black soil that our neck of the woods is supposed to be famous for. (Post glacial soil, here.) :cool:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
I weeded my beet/okra bed. EVERYTHING there expLODED after 2 days of rain!! I transplanted my 3 sweet potato slips from a sweet potato I had bought for last Thanksgiving! :th
I used a cheapo plastic planter with dividers to start some Indian corn. I want to harvest in October for decorating and I plan to till on the south side of the garage where I've been dumping compost from the stalls. I will wait until the little corn's are about 5 inches tall, then transplant and use plenty of Preen. It will help to keep down the inevitable weeds there.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I gave the tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, squash, beans, and collards some manure tea. I picked some Nanking pie cherries and I will pick some more tomorrow and make a pie, even though I made banana pudding from scratch tonight, the recipe on the Nilla wafer box. I also started kale and bok-choy seeds inside. I checked the cabbage and I will be bringing in some tomorrow and I dug a potato plant that was really yellow and had a few small new potatoes for supper and they were good.