What Did You Do In The Garden?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Yesterday, I dumped the dirt out of my big, plastic tree pot and rescued bulbs. I had to dig with my spade so I killed two. :oops:
There were still 5 to tranplant. ALL had Really good and thick roots, and I think that they are daffodils. I found some healthy, tiny bulbs, too. I dug up my bed around the Satellite dish, then dug deep holes for the big bulbs, which had multiplied, popped in the tiny bulbs, and planted 7 nasturtium seeds. Now I can lend the pot to my DD's. I have a tomato waiting in a bucket with water to go in it, and plant some nasturtium seeds there, too.
End of the afternoon, when I should have been tilling and enclosing my pepper bed I saw that my one (Montmorency tart) cherry tree was covered with red, so I harvested 5 pie's worth. The other tree still has green cherries on it, and it should be ready in about two weeks. There were bird and insect damaged fruit, but not very much. Just FYI, even though the fruit is tart, the fully riped fruit is actually very sweet. You can use cherries that aren't so red and still end up with a good pie.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I honestly feel like I'm getting caught up. Just came inside from the garden and it's a good feeling. Some of the maters and peppers got off to a rough start but everything I think :fl is going to be just fine.

Still need to finish doing mulch and get the little sun gold cherry planted. We always keep one cherry tomato in a pot on the deck for easy snacking otherwise we found we lose a number of them since we don't get to the garden every day. I keep hearing the high praises heaped on that little cherry do this year I said why not.

Pole beans have come up like gangbusters though the purple pole variety I planted seems to be a bit behind the Kentucky Wonder poles. We'll see how they do. They are more of a novelty than anything else. I love my Kentucky Wonders best tasting green bean in my book. Bought them on a whim from Baker Creek years ago and they are my go to green bean.

Still patiently waiting on the bush beans to break through then I can mulch everything and know Im set for the year. This is the first year Im doing both pole & bush beans but trying to get enough pole beans picked at one time to can just isn't worth it. So instead of 2, 50' rows of poles I did a 50' row of poles and a 50' row of bush so I hope to have enough to do what I want.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@ducks4you do you have just the one cherry tree? Been kicking around adding some more trees. How has it done for you? Easy keeper? Produce well?

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Jared77 100' of beans? I plant 30' and eat till we r sick of them and give buckets away. You remind me f my HS friend who planted a 30' X 30' garden to all green beans.

Transplanted 3 spots of watermelons and honeydews.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
@ducks4you do you have just the one cherry tree? Been kicking around adding some more trees. How has it done for you? Easy keeper? Produce well?
I have two Montmorency Tart Cherry Trees. One, the smaller one, is one year OLDER than the other. I think the taller and younger one got it's tap root into a better water spot than the other. They are both about 15 foot away from each other and healthy. After I dug the holes and watered them in, they've been on their own.
Two years ago the birds and bugs got them ALL because I was too busy to harvest anything. :rant
LAST year I had many promises and few hands that helped me. THIS year I have recruited a neighbor, new to canning.
If she likes the harvesting, she can come back in two weeks and do it again!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Spouse has no real idea that he just went into debt to that tune. He's smiling at the 'free' cap they gave him to advertise their business.

Yes, he knows I'm getting the tractor. ......

I'm getting a bucket, a back hoe, and a cab. Nephew has a tiller. I figure we can share back hoe and tiller. I already have a mower and drag, too. With the raised beds, I really don't need a tiller for much anyway.

Paper are signed and processed. Now we wait for the dealership to find one nearby and bring it over. Title work will list the owners as me and the son. That will hopefully eliminate problems with estate later.

A sad, sad update to the tractor story. I was told I'd have delivery within two weeks at the most. Later that week the salesman called and said delivery wouldn't be until August 27th. And he asked for money down since the delivery date is so far away and the dealership is charged for sales that fall through while waiting.

I stopped by with a check for $1,000 and the notation that it was for tractor delivered before September 1, 2016. I suspect he didn't like that check as I was called back a day later when my phone was down from a storm. Still haven't returned his call now that the phone is back up and working.

I'm thinking of Larissa's story about purchasing a car in Russia and feeling a bit like I'm getting my tractor the same way. NOT gonna go there!

Sigh! I really want that tractor. So much work to do and waiting until sometime in the fall means nothing gets done this summer. Phooey!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
More sad, sad news. I was called by cardiac hospital staff. I need to make an appointment to have my ICD (internal cardiac device) replaced as the battery is below acceptable levels.

I have a date with the surgeon on Monday, June 27th for a replacement. Outpatient, thank goodness, but Spouse is gonna be a pain for a while, I suspect.

The first ICD lasted just over 5 years. This one, only 3 years. Why? No one knows since I haven't had any heart problems requiring shock treatment. I want one of those batteries that charge themselves with normal, everyday movement like watches have! Otherwise, they might as well attach a zipper so opening me up isn't such a bother.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nothing done in the garden proper. Worked on more trees near the road and drove Spouse hither and yon while he pouted that I didn't want to let him to go anywhere.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
More sad, sad news. I was called by cardiac hospital staff. I need to make an appointment to have my ICD (internal cardiac device) replaced as the battery is below acceptable levels.

I have a date with the surgeon on Monday, June 27th for a replacement. Outpatient, thank goodness, but Spouse is gonna be a pain for a while, I suspect.

The first ICD lasted just over 5 years. This one, only 3 years. Why? No one knows since I haven't had any heart problems requiring shock treatment. I want one of those batteries that charge themselves with normal, everyday movement like watches have! Otherwise, they might as well attach a zipper so opening me up isn't such a bother.
Scary news, @Smart Red . At least for this "patient" who hasn't had surgery since he was 8.

I've said that just to keep me in a hospital bed, they will have to give me the medicine that makes me glad I showed up!

I hope you have your support group lined up or can turn over that task to one of them ...

Steve

Latest posts