What did YOU do in your garden today :P

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Tomorrow I get to play in the veggie garden. So much to get planted -- so much that is already late getting in.

Today I planted the begonia bed, :weeecleaned up another bed, :yacleaned the years of "junk" hidden under the deck,:celebrate brought both boxes of tubers up from the basement and planted all the dahlias I had room for. :clap The few that are left will be FreeCycled. Then I went back to the basement for my red potato sets:woot and - gasp!- and found a third box of dahlias.:ep I don't know where they are going, but I'll have to find room for them since I don't remember which box held which dahlias :he and I don't want to lose any of them. Then I mowed some and brushed glyphosate on some weeds.

Promise to self: :oops: next fall find a better way to identify dahlias for storage.

Storage went super well this winter. Lots of sprouting dahlia tubers, lots of begonia tubers, even some gladiola corms came up for planting today along with plenty of potatoes from last season all sprouting and ready to be planted.

I hope beans grow well with naked ladies, because I've decided to plant pole beans on the clothes line side and bush beans on the curved side. That way the surprise lilies won't be over-exposed and I can get some use out of those beds until I'm ready to replant them in flowers.

Sure was a super-special great day in south-est, central-est Wisconsin today!

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
got some small onion 'bulbs' in the garden this morning before heading off for work. here's hoping the rain will go away some time this weekend. i have to replant some corn and beans that just didn't sprout. (or my chickens decided that they looked good enough to eat) :eek:

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dug more dirt (seems to be a refrain) but also got my Tromboncini squash, Boston Pickling cucumbers, and Blue Lake pole beans planted. The first of my African Collection beans from Bluejay came up today. Quite excited about that.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
The weather was perfect, sunny and 72 degrees today. Got to "play" outside almost all day and got so much done. Ran the weed-eater until I ran through a tank of gas and had to stop since I didn't know where DH keeps the mixed gas. Planted my two new rose bushes. Played with the kids for a bit and blew bubbles. :) Thinned out my raspberries' canes. Raked up the compost pile where the chickens had strewn it about. Dug out some curly dock here and there in the big garden. Picked up a bunch of rocks and basically got it all ready for DH to till. He got home at 8pm from helping my sis and BIL move stuff all day and still had enough energy left to till my garden for me. I love my Bright-and-Shining-Farmer! :love Ava helped me to pile a lot of brush, prunings and clippings, then we had a huge bonfire and roasted marshmallows to top off the night. Superbaby was really good today. She stayed nearby and didn't run off for once, helped her sis rake grass and played in the dirt for well over an hour. This had a lot to do with me getting so much done!

The main garden is all ready. I'm going to go for broke and try to plant everything tomorrow, except the tomatoes which are going into the little side garden. Gotta move the chickens off of it and on to the corner of the big garden so I can get it tilled too. The tomatoes were potted up last week, so they'll hold a little longer. I like them to be bigger when I set them out anyway. That way the cutworms will leave them alone.

Another year, a blank slate...I am off to a good start so far!

Last edited:

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I planted 4 Sweet 100 and a Sun Gold cherry tomatoes, 3 Horn of Plenty squash, and 2 sweet banana peppers. Spent the morning shopping and found 9 Sweet 100 for $1.50. I bought some Horn of Plenty squash plants, Sweeter Yet cucumber plants, Sultan cucumber plants, a Legend tomato plant and Tasti Lee tomato plant.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
A productive day. We got lots of weeding done. Turned over and added soil and planted the last bed. Tomatoes and peppers are in. Planted the bulbs and some flower starts, too. DH put down grass clipping mulch around peppers and tomatoes.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
My grand daughter and I dug potatoes today. Out of 2 small leaf/horse manure beds, we got 68 pounds of potatoes! We cleaned up the duck pen, ducks are in the freezer and we ate one tonight. Let the chickens in the duck pen yesterday and today, they have plowed it up! I'll let them in it again tomorrow, then water it real good and maybe Monday plant corn in it. The duck pen must have 40 bags of leaves in it.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Finally got the potatoes in the ground today, they have been pre-sprouting for 3 or 4 weeks in the living room, so it's nice to have them out of here. I didn't intend to let them chit for that long, but I kept delaying getting things planted.:\
They had nice sturdy little sprouts on them though, so hopefully that will up production a bit. I am also very pleased that these were all my own homegrown potatoes, that's a first for me. And we still have about 10 pounds in storage for eating that are in fine shape!

Also got the started peas in that should have gone out 2 weeks ago.
Got most of the weedy areas mowed, got the perennial beds watered, and placed the hosta and bleeding hearts and "Only the Lonely" nicotiana that somehow climbed onto the wagon at the nursery when I was picking up tomato plants. Those sneaky plants!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thistle, planting potatoes from your own source is very impressive! Are potatoes as easy to grow as I imagine in Idaho? I would think all you have to do is say grow and they produce bunches. :)

Mary

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thistle, planting potatoes from your own source is very impressive! Are potatoes as easy to grow as I imagine in Idaho? I would think all you have to do is say grow and they produce bunches. :)

Mary

Mary if they were easy to grow everybody would be doing it!;)

No, they probably are one of the easiest crops, which is probably why I like them so much, they can even make me look like I know what I'm doing...

It's true that Idaho is known to be a great place for growing potatoes, but that would be southern Idaho with it's volcanic soil, and I'm up here in northern Idaho where the soil is much different. But, yeah, when I say grow! plants sit up and listen! They don't necessarily grow, but they do hear me.

Latest posts