What did YOU do in your garden today :P

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, I've been sprucing up the garden for Olivia's 4th birthday party coming up in a couple weeks. She is the apple of her papa's eye and I get to buy anything I want for the garden without papa questioning it. :D

Yesterday, I planted a coleus in a pot, 2 wall baskets, and another poblano chili. Today I planted zinnia's in a pot and bought a hanging petunia basket. My husband also put stakes on my fig tree and plum tree. He also installed a new pump in my water fountain. All in all, it's been a great gardening weekend and my garden looks great. :love

Mary

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
What does this mean, 2 small leaf/horse manure beds, how big, what is it? Wow, 68 pounds!
I made a chicken wire bin about 3'x4', put cardboard on the bottom (grass and weeds) and layered bags of leaves with horse manure about 2 1/2' deep. I also made a pile of leaves and layered horse manure and leaves, it was about 6 or 7 feet long and maybe 5' wide. I planted in mid February, which is the time to plant here. But we had such weird weather, after I planted we got ice and freezes and the potatoes didn't come up for almost a month. After they came up, we got another freeze, so I covered the sprouts with leaves and upside down flower pots. I figured the harvest would be sparse because it gets so hot so soon here and they didn't even grow for a month, but I was pleasantly surprised. The potatoes were big, blemish free and beautiful. The leaf pile on the ground did better than the raised chicken wire bin, maybe because the raised bed got colder....dunno.[/QUOTE]

I may try that. I will see what I get this year. I am using a lot of ground for my potatoes. I would be happy to get 68 pounds in the size of the area you have.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I planted 18 more peppers, a few basil, and 2 Sweeter Yet cucumbers and 2 Sultan cucumbers. I transplanted some hollyhocks and found a lot of sunflowers in some compost in the alley and I will transplant those tomorrow. Cut the flower stalks out of the rhubarb again.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
Why thank you @seedcorn! What? no southerner hating? :lol:
Bay, I'm not hating you for having already harvested some stuff. At least up here I am now seeing stuff growing and starting to flower and that's enough for me!

got quite a few items in the ground yesterday. Still need to get tomatoes, peppers, melons and cukes in. Had to replant some corn though. I'll be working on getting some fencing put up today to keep the chickens from trying to dig and graze on my plants.

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes! But, you really threw me with that quote, GwR! For a minute, I thought it was you who was planting potatoes in February.

It's too early for me to do the math for Bay's yield, pounds per square foot. She did great! Seems to be much better than my harvest that I so carefully weighed out week after week, a few years ago. Two hundred square feet, 199 pounds. I'm sure that it was the best I'd ever done.

Steve

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Haven't done much the last two days, planted the last of the sweet potato slips, about 50 total, and cut part of the grass. I've had other projects going on plus Sunday afternoon is my weekly charity time. It's only two to three hours each week but that seems to tie up a whole lot of that day.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I planted my green Oaxacan corn in the duckpen today. It's raining now, a nice slow gentle rain. perfect.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
tilled up area where I've planted sweet corn 3X already and have NONE up. Between old seed, grubs, wireworms and chickens. I'm 0-3.

Only because I'm now in the garden, I'll leave the southerners alone--for NOW!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
tilled up area where I've planted sweet corn 3X already and have NONE up. Between old seed, grubs, wireworms and chickens. I'm 0-3.

Only because I'm now in the garden, I'll leave the southerners alone--for NOW!
If you were playing baseball.......3 strikes......you're OUT! hahahahahaha!!!!

Latest posts