What did YOU do in your garden today :P

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I finally got around to moving my Pinkie Winkie hydrangea to a more prominent location as it deserves. And I put my Brown Turkey fig in that spot instead and got it all wrapped up for winter. Maybe next year I'll actually get some figs!

I also re-potted a few of my houseplants. I am beginning to wonder if my epiphyllums will ever bloom in this lifetime. :\

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bummer about the keys Steve. When kid#2 was just a toddler I locked my keys and him in the truck. That was before cell phones. Fortunately I was working at my vets barn that day and he stayed with my truck and loaned me his to run home and get the spares.
My mom once visited me at a store I worked at and locked her car and left it running. Now that was tricky. Fortunately there was a nice man who was able to get her hood open and turn the car off.

Since I'm here I may as well post what I did in the garden. :p
Gave the lawn one last mowing. Cut down the rest of the perennials
in the flower beds. I used my hedger. That works great! Saves lots of time and carpal tunnels. You just have to watch out for those solar light ropes going up the trellis. :( I hope DH can splice it.

I also dumped a wheelbarrow of horse manure on the west garden, and 3 loads of chicken pen diggings before I ran out of oomph.

Got all the gas equipment run out of gas and put away, got all the animal water heaters and cords strung out and plugged in, and the new dog house set up for the dogs with their heat pad in it.

The horses got fresh straw, the chickens got extra straw in the coop and the cats got their heat pads installed too. I think I'm ready for the cold now. Except for a couple of outdoor pots that are planted with succulents that I need to put under cover somewhere before it snows.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wrapped my hydrangeas in a wire form that I filled with leaves. That should help them survive the winter. It seemed to work rather well last year and that winter was a doozy!

I picked up the last of the small fencing I've used to mark STAY OUT areas -- especially from spouse with his hoe -- and got the hoses ready for winter storage.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
2 hours... Did it take her a long time to find the spare or was it a really long drive? At least it wasn't too dark to get something done! :p
She was at work. Since she sometimes works late, I was a bit concerned when she didn't respond to the text right away. There are neighbors but the one I know the best was a lady home alone without the vehicle. I would feel comfortable asking her or others to call a taxi but I sure didn't want to pay one :fl. Turned out DD was off work after a little while and the house was between her job and the garden. The anxiety was only about a 90 minute thing ...

Sorry about the keys. You turned the beds for the kale and carrots. Does this mean you turned the dirt where they were or where they will be in the spring?
Where they were. The carrots had kinda left their bed already cultivated, after harvest :rolleyes:. I cut the Portuguese kale at ground level and thought I'd just sneak off having done no more. It was a little awkward turning the soil with those big roots when things went to Plan B!

Steve

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thistle, sounds like you got alot accomplished. I once got home, parked my car, hit lock on the doors and got out. Yep, left my keys inside and the car running. Fortunately my husband was coming home and was about 10 minutes away. Those 10 minutes seemed like forever with the car running.

Mary

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Since I'm here I may as well post what I did in the garden. :p
Gave the lawn one last mowing. Cut down the rest of the perennials
in the flower beds. I used my hedger. That works great! Saves lots of time and carpal tunnels. You just have to watch out for those solar light ropes going up the trellis. :( I hope DH can splice it.

I also dumped a wheelbarrow of horse manure on the west garden, and 3 loads of chicken pen diggings before I ran out of oomph.

Got all the gas equipment run out of gas and put away, got all the animal water heaters and cords strung out and plugged in, and the new dog house set up for the dogs with their heat pad in it.

The horses got fresh straw, the chickens got extra straw in the coop and the cats got their heat pads installed too. I think I'm ready for the cold now. Except for a couple of outdoor pots that are planted with succulents that I need to put under cover somewhere before it snows.

Boy, that made me tired just reading it! :thDH and DS got the rabbit hutch ready and I gave them extra straw. I still have a lot of work to get my garden ready for winter.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
This weekend we dug the last of the potatoes, brought in the last of the kale and Brussels sprouts and dry beans. Covered the strawberries and said good night to the garden for the winter.
002.JPG 006.JPG 011.JPG 014.JPG

Last edited:

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
We throw some mulched leaves on in the fall and till in some compost each spring. that is all. :)

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
About keys - I have done so many crazy things with car keys that I do not even get out to scrape windows or do anything without taking the keys with me
We throw some mulched leaves on in the fall and till in some compost each spring. that is all. :)

NICE potatoes! How long were they in the ground? I am starting to think I dig my potatoes too early.

Latest posts