What's Doin' Best?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here are the potatoes that are doin' so-so and doin' much better.

Kind of remarkable that they are sharing the same bed, planted at the same time but the plants are 20" and 34" and there's a variety of about 32" in between. Big stair steps! I expect quite a lot of difference in the harvests.

Steve
ETA: oh yes, those are a couple of purple orache plants that were missed.

Last edited:

skeeter9

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Tomatoes and summer squash are going crazy this year. I'm afraid to get too excited because there's a lot of season left, but still. . .:love

Brussel sprouts are amazing roasted with olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic powder until cartelized, then dipped in garlic chipotle aioli. Yum, yum, yum. Won't touch the canned or frozen ones, though. YUK!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, I love brussel sprouts but I think they are an acquired taste. I used to roast them in the oven. But I had them at a restuarant and I loved them and now I try to make them that way.

Here is how I cook them. Saute some chopped bacon in a cast iron pan for a couple of minutes and then add brussel sprouts that have been cut in half. When they are half way cooked add about a tablespoon of brown sugar. Cook till tender. They will look roasted.

I forgot to add, season with salt and pepper to taste.

Mary

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
When all else fails ....cheese.... :D The kids like anything with cheese on it around here. LOL. I even have got out the Queso (sp?)cheese dip to pour over them. (You know the Frito Lays cheesy dip in the jar on the shelf with their Salsas.)
Oh Carol, I LOVE that stuff! Don't buy it too often though. I would eat the whole jar and consume too many calories. :hide

Mary

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We had them at chef (errIron Chef) Michael Symon's restaurant Roast and they were served with walnuts and tossed in balsamic vinegar and oven roasted. I think there was some honey in there too along with seasonings that are yet to be determined. They were UNREAL GOOD!! I had never really cared for them but that made me a believer in them.

Honestly things are good here. No one plants blown away everybody else which is a good thing in my book. My peppers are a little slow to set fruit but otherwise everything's good here.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
The brussel sprout plants look great. I do not like them. My onions and garlic look great, pole beans and bush beans, cabbage also. Asparagus did really well for 2 years old. The peas are very tall with flowers. The kale did excellent and tomato plants are better than ever so far. The pepper plants are small with flowers, which looks weird to me. I only planted a few potatoes, but the plants look great. Raspberry plants are loaded. Strawberries not very many and slugs eating some. Eggplant looks small, beets seem to be going slow. I have a lot of lettuce. Cucumbers look better than usual, but have lost so many from the birds and the squash is behind because of the birds. All is well except that I planned this garden all wrong. Soon I am not going to be able to walk. I am worried how I am going to pick pole beans. The tomatoes are bigger than usual and the walkways are too narrow. My beautiful onions and garlic, I cannot take pictures of because of the weeds. I did not plant them right and cannot get in to weed correctly and the peas keep falling over, but DH has done a great job of fixing them, but I planted 2 rows and you could walk between them, but now :hitit is a mess. The only hope I have is to get the garlic harvested and I may be able to reach the peas. There is a 3rd row that is shading the bush beans :hitand I am going to have a heck of a time picking bush beans too. I thought it would be FUN to have tall peas. They are Alderman or Tall Telephone. It will all work out, but it sure takes the fun out of gardening when the pathways are not wide enough.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
In my garden, it must be these:

View attachment 3125
There they are in the early morning shade from the wild plum tree -- Brussels Sprouts!

There might be some aphids on them because they like this family so much. It's a low-aphid gardening year so far, however. Flea beetles are tearing up the kohlrabi after working over the radish. I haven't seen any on these plants. They are growing far, far better than the cabbage. The rabbit is back but, he has left them completely damage-free, (except for what that little hailstorm did to them).

I don't think I even like Brussels Sprouts! Leastwise, I've never had them when I thought, "Good Heavens, that is a fine vegetable!" I'm sure of that ... anyway, I'm gonna try to learn to like 'em, looks like.

... Steve
first time Brussels sprouts grower
Here's something else I missed. I love the little photos that keep changing near the top of the page. Did you have a great harvest digits?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
For what it was worth ... yeah.

DW has decided that she likes Brussels sprouts. My last attempt to "like" them was using my usual marinade, .5:1:1. That's oil:soysauce:vinegar. I vary those ingredients all sorts of ways and add spices at times. The ratios stay the same.

Anywho, the Brussels sprouts did just fine. They had some problems with aphids. I was warned about that here on TEG. I hit them with 3 different aphid killers, sprayed a week apart. That finished 'em off good.

Steve

Latest posts