Witer time again.... and the yearly fight

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Living in the Midwest those roads look very doable! Until there is ice or drifting the side roads are not likely to see a county truck.
That's how it is here also. We are on a 2 mile rural road. Over 3" snowfall or high drifts will usually be plowed within 24 hours, under 3" just gets packed down and slick. We may not see pavement for months unless it warms up enough to melt. They won't touch private roads or driveways, you hire or do it yourself. They do keep the intersections sanded/salted pretty well.

New York has snowplows on their garbage trucks, now that's resourceful! .. and I suppose quite necessary in New York.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have to say in southern NY the rodes are well taken care of. Salt trucks are out putting down salt hours before it starts snowing. But this comes at a price, we have some of the highest taxes in the country.

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Nyboy...:hu all I know is it's black, and gets me up the drive!!!!!!!:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: If I had to guess, it is crushed coal???? You ask this of a polish person.:plbb

Another reason I get so irritated with the state road people.... MontyJ had to work yesterday, when he tried to come up the drive he got his work truck stuck . Since he got it stuck and there was no way to get it the rest of the way to the house, he had to park the truck in town (about 2 or 3 miles away). Good thing my neighbor was home and offered to bring him home from town. This morning he had to walk into town so he could go to work.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
The county uses cinders here to. Gives traction but doesn't melt. Help reserve salt inventory. They do have a product that is ground tires. Not sure what it is called. (maybe it is the cinders?)

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cinders are the remains of a fire -- as in Cinderella. These pieces of ash provide a good measure of traction and would otherwise be unused waste. Besides, being black, they help to speed up melting. I would think them very useful in areas where electricity is generated by coal (ash).

Another product called 'cinders' comes from volcanic activity and is a form of crushed lava rock. Unless the material is readily available, I doubt it is widely used on roads.

Latest posts