Would like to buy Genetically Modified Seeds for Vegetables

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thanks Steve, I really had to sway myself away from freaking on Monsanto.... but lately I've been really upset with Bayer.

Recent leaks in Australia explain a lot about the information these companies are keeping away from the public eye.

Just because you dress a monkey up as a baby, doesn't make it safe to bring it home and turn it lose in your house. If you have to wait 9 months to have a baby.... maybe that's the better route!

old fashioned

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
When I seen this thread I was thinking Zuks is either....

1. trying to make a funny joke

2. insighting a forum riot

or

3. seriously misinformed

I'd say misinformed. As Vfem says, there are no "magic" seeds that will produce what you're looking for.

If you want tasty, healthy for you crops go with heirloom.
If you want bigger, disease resistant plants/crops (not as tasty) go with hybrid.
If you want plants/crops that are resistant to chemicals/pesticides go with GMO's.
You can't get healthy, tasty, big, disease resistant, weather resistant crops even with GMO's (contradiction in terms). Nor will GMO's save you money or effort. In fact, they'll probably end up costing you & your family more in the long run with high medical bills from sickness & disease. Not to mention the continued rising price of GMO seeds you'd have to buy every year, along with possible lawsuits from GMO companies for any misstep on your part.

Personally, I'd say go with heirloom or even hybrid seeds. You may have to put in as much or more effort to keep your plants healthy, but your rewards will be much better for you, community & the earth. Learn more about ways of protecting your crops naturally.

The 'easy' way isn't the 'best' way. No good can come from GMO's.

btw :welcome

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Nicely put old fashioned!

There is no way out of the possibility that weather or insects will destroy your hard work or money either. You can't always win!

Decisions have to made with hard facts and research.

I'm concerned, like seedcorn said, that you don't really even know what GMO is... or what you can buy that is GMO.

Steve mentioned the known plants: corn, soybeans, cotton and possibly alfalfa. You seem to be interested in tomatoes, which there aren't GMO options for purchase?

I suggest you do a bit more research and learn what it is you are looking for first, so that we may actually direct you to the product best suited for your situation.

Make a list of the crops you want, the problems you've had with your previous crops of the same type... and maybe we could all come up with a solution that would lead to better crop yield and better quality products for you to make money off of.

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Smaller and smaller crops year after year is usually not a seed problem, it is a SOIL PROBLEM.

Your soil is DEPLETED.

Instead of looking for magic seeds, look for the reason your soil is in such sad shape.

Are you planting the same crop in the same area year after year?
Are you using artificial fertilizers?
Are you letting areas periodically lay fallow?
Do you plant living mulch crops like clover?
Have you researched using animals as part of a natural fertilizer system?
Practice companion planting?
Can you get a soil test?

Lots of questions to answer before you start looking for magic seeds.

damummis

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I figured it was someone stiring the pot. :rolleyes:

beavis

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Magic seeds indeed......

images-5.jpg

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Zuk, the only GMO vegetable crop I'm aware of is Bt sweet corn. Bt controls ear worm. If ear worms are beyond control it could be worth it. I'm not sure if it's legal to export the seed.

Don't feel intimidated by anyone on this board. We don't agree, won't agree, life will go on. So ask away, just ignore those that go on rants on you.

Do you understand the difference between GMO and hybrid seed? Do you have access to soil testing? Give us some direction so we can help.

Again, come in peace. Ask anything.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
:yuckyuck
i can tell you a solution to keeping the cucumbers weed free! plant tall sunflowers in the row with them! the cukes get shaded by the flowers to help keep them cool and at the same time the sunflowers give off a substance that keep most weeds from taking root in the surrounding soil! i would suggest a good cover crop once both plants have passed and you plan the next year's garden rotation. btw, the cukes can tolerate the sunflower's presence better than any other veggie!

look for a set of books called "Roses love Garlic' and 'Carrots love Tomatoes'. good books about companion planting and simple remedies for garden issues. you might be able to find them cheaply since they have been published since i think the 80's.

i would also suggest growing tomatoes in a greenhouse if you really want to control how much drought or rain they are getting. many tomatoes seem to be fickle and not like it soggy or too dry and that is the best method of controlling their conditions.

have you also looked into the 'high tunnel' method of growing? or hoop houses? the hoop houses are good to get a nice jump start on your growing season and protecting lots of veggies from bugs and the elements without costing you a fortune!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was waiting to see where this was going.... :p

I'm glad you came back through, Zuks. Anyone who has lurked around here for any length of time will know that GMO is a touchy subject around here. I had to wonder if you weren't trolling at first!

I think what you are looking for is a hybrid. Hybrids won't reproduce true to type (or at all sometimes), but nothing in their DNA has been artifically manipulated. Many times hybrids will have some of the characteristics you are looking for (disease resistance, drought tolerance, etc.). They are improved varieties that have been selectively bred for a purpose. I wouldn't say that they are all devoid of flavor, although for best flavor I go with heirlooms myself.

Sounds like you are looking to grow them for market? There are probably a lot of laws governing what kinds of seeds you can import to your country and we wouldn't be able to help you much there. Your best bet is to inquire of whatever agricultural department your country has in place. If it is anything like ours, they can point you toward varieties that are proven to excell in your local area.

I agree also that it sounds like you need to have your soil tested for nutrient deficiency. You can also hunt around on here for many good tips on how to build the fertility of your soil. We are all about that. :)

Latest posts