Your Weather 2023

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Our deep freeze starts this afternoon, so I've covered up lots of plants to see if a little extra protection can help them survive a couple of days with a low of -13C (9F). There is a stiff wind in the forecast as well, so I am going to squirt some water on the rims of the pots where the contact the soil, in the hope that the water will freeze and glue the containers to the ground (otherwise the wind will blow them all over the yard). It's worth a shot! :cool:

Attachments

• IMG_20240110_125154995.jpg
    IMG_20240110_125154995.jpg
    393.6 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20240110_131407484.jpg
    IMG_20240110_131407484.jpg
    385.8 KB · Views: 30

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
the winds are going to pick up Friday, temperatures go down starting Sunday, next week is not going to be as brutal as your temps (still single digit lows overnight) up there but it's not the end of the world and you should be used to dealing with it by now. i hope. :)
Yeah, I'm used to it - like an ache that you just get used to after awhile. And Winter thus far has been less brutal than usual, so I count my blessings. Still not a big fan of cold weather though, and don't do any winter sports (unless shoveling counts). I wish I could just get fat & sleep through the winter like a bear... so far I've only been successful in step #1. :rolleyes: Joined the Y this year in hope of keeping the winter weight gain down, and helping with the SADs.

On the bright side, now that the temps will be plummeting to below zero, the ambient indoor humidity is dropping into the "sweater lightning" zone - so I can FINALLY put all the 2023 seeds into storage. :celebrate A brief period with nothing garden related (other than this forum) until the 2024 SSE Yearbook comes out in a few weeks, at which point garden planning will begin.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
There is a stiff wind in the forecast as well, so I am going to squirt some water on the rims of the pots where the contact the soil, in the hope that the water will freeze and glue the containers to the ground (otherwise the wind will blow them all over the yard). It's worth a shot! :cool:
Clever idea! Let us know how well that works.

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm used to it - like an ache that you just get used to after awhile. And Winter thus far has been less brutal than usual, so I count my blessings. Still not a big fan of cold weather though, and don't do any winter sports (unless shoveling counts). I wish I could just get fat & sleep through the winter like a bear... so far I've only been successful in step #1. :rolleyes: Joined the Y this year in hope of keeping the winter weight gain down, and helping with the SADs.

On the bright side, now that the temps will be plummeting to below zero, the ambient indoor humidity is dropping into the "sweater lightning" zone - so I can FINALLY put all the 2023 seeds into storage. :celebrate A brief period with nothing garden related (other than this forum) until the 2024 SSE Yearbook comes out in a few weeks, at which point garden planning will begin.
I hibernate in the winter too Zeedman, sleeping far more than during the other seasons and permitting myself to spend hours sitting and reading about plants and how to grow them. Sometimes I experience the winter blahs as well; on those mornings when I feel particularly lack lustre I sometimes re-watch this YouTube video of 'The Pink Glove Dance'. It's an oldie, but a goodie. I crank up the volume and get out of my chair so I can dance around the living room-- and it always lifts my spirits. My favourite time of day to do this is early in the morning when it is still dark out, and I am the only one up (so I can dance like nobody's watching).

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Geezers
It's -4c here this morning 🥶
I'll have to get out there soon but not at all looking forward to it at all.

I woke up with a cold bottom in what should be my lovely warm bed brrr

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Our weather forecast has changed a little; the night temps will now be a little warmer. The not-so-great news is that it looks like we'll never get above -10 C. for the next week.

This morning it took me 2 hours to dig out from the storm. We got about 12" total, but there were places where it had drifted higher. It's been years since I had to wade through knee-deep snow. Got plenty of exercise (including shoveling for a friend who just had surgery) so at least I don't have to go to the Y for a couple days. :lol:

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I hibernate in the winter too Zeedman, sleeping far more than during the other seasons and permitting myself to spend hours sitting and reading about plants and how to grow them. Sometimes I experience the winter blahs as well; on those mornings when I feel particularly lack lustre I sometimes re-watch this YouTube video of 'The Pink Glove Dance'. It's an oldie, but a goodie. I crank up the volume and get out of my chair so I can dance around the living room-- and it always lifts my spirits. My favourite time of day to do this is early in the morning when it is still dark out, and I am the only one up (so I can dance like nobody's watching).

Latest posts