Your Weather 2023

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It's allegedly 1c here but it's freezing outside.

It's going to drop down to 0 then fluctuating between-2 and -3 . That's according to the weather forecast.
It's a strange forecast because during the early morning, it's switching about every hour - 2 then - 3 then-2 and so on until tomorrow morning :idunno

I'm cuddling up with my hot water bottle and under the covers with my two snuggle buddies
1000001652.jpg

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We have had mild weather for many weeks, but winter is coming. On Thursday the temperature will dip to -13C (9F) overnight, with a chilly day time high of only -8C (17F) during the day. If we're lucky we'll get a dusting of snow first, to help insulate the ground. The extreme cold will only last a couple of days, and then we will be back on the plus side during the day and just a few degrees below freezing at night time.

Today and tomorrow are rainy, so once things dry out on Wednesday I am going to have to get out there and protect a bunch of plants. Our neighbours gave me a whole bunch of huge black nursery pots so I will use some of those over the Purple Sprouting Broccoli. Any lettuce that look promising will get a cover made from an upside down pot as well. One of my favourites is a bay leaf shrub that a friend grew from a cutting; I've already covered that one with an upside down rubber garbage can.

I still have a bunch of plants in 4" pots from the summer that need bumping up; some extra soil around the roots would be a good thing. We see if I am energetic enough to get that done in time. ❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Weather!!

We had heavy wet snow and high wind gusts all night long. Generator system was earning its keep by providing heat, lights, water, TV since early last night, and is still running now. Around midnight my county had 1373 customers without power. This morning that number has risen to 4247.

More rain and wind is predicted for Saturday.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ugh, Winter finally arrived. No snow for Christmas. Then Mon. eve into Tuesday we got 8 to 10 inches. Starting with wet heavy snow. Hard shoveling. Last night added a fluffier layer or 2 or 3 more inches. Much easier to clear. Now they are predicting Thur. night into Fri. upwards to 8 more inches and very high winds. Blizzard. Weekend temps will be single digits before wind chill factor. We have everything we might need. Will hunker down and wait it out.

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ugh, Winter finally arrived. No snow for Christmas. Then Mon. eve into Tuesday we got 8 to 10 inches. Starting with wet heavy snow. Hard shoveling. Last night added a fluffier layer or 2 or 3 more inches. Much easier to clear. Now they are predicting Thur. night into Fri. upwards to 8 more inches and very high winds. Blizzard. Weekend temps will be single digits before wind chill factor. We have everything we might need. Will hunker down and wait it out.
I have seen on TV that the Midwest got socked with huge amounts of snow. Stay warm and stay safe.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Pretty much the same story here @Carol Dee ... but the next round of snow will be easier to shovel than the slush we have now. The temps will be really crashing though; when Winter is late arriving, it hits like an ice hammer. It seems we will have a winter after all. 🥶

View attachment 63241

the good thing with the cold weather is that the snow that comes with it is fluffy and easier to deal with. when the air is warm it all clumps together...

the winds are going to pick up Friday, temperatures go down starting Sunday, next week is not going to be as brutal as your temps (still single digit lows overnight) up there but it's not the end of the world and you should be used to dealing with it by now. i hope. :)

Latest posts