Your Weather, 2024

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Not only is “the sky falling” but this morning i read that all this global warming “might cause zombie arctic viruses” to be released due to perma frost melt? 🫤
Hold onto your hat and get some wadders cause it’s gonna get deep, or in some of your cases, it’s probably all ready that deep?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The difference, one side of the Cascades to the other, can be seen with @Rhodie Ranch and @Branching Out .

We may have as much as 1/2" of rain over the next few days, beginning tonight. (I recognize a collective  shrug ;)). Still, the chance of record high temperatures during the final days of the month, as highs go above 50⁰f (10⁰C), is worth noting.

Leaving tracks on the slushy lawn is worrisome. I guess that I'm hoping the ground completely thaws soon. I'm not experienced with a lawn that amounts to muck, living all these years on glacial moraine and hundreds of feet of gravel.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
in the 30s and damp makes any breeze cut right through you if you are outside and not dressed well enough for it. layers... yesterday we ran errands and by the end of the day the wind had picked up enough that we really noticed it.

looks like much the same for the next week - low 30s and sometimes maybe freezing overnight but during the days back into the mid to upper 30s and even into the 40s.

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Not only is “the sky falling” but this morning i read that all this global warming “might cause zombie arctic viruses” to be released due to perma frost melt? 🫤
Hold onto your hat and get some wadders cause it’s gonna get deep, or in some of your cases, it’s probably all ready that deep?
The stuff of horror films like *The Thing* or *Ice Station Zebra.* Yikes.

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
-18f this morning. Adding some perspective to this, your chest freezer is designed to work best at 0 F! Into next week it’s predicted to drop further yet before gradually moderating into a more normal range.

Cant wait, ready to trade 🥶 for🥒🥬🥦!

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score

while it may happen i'm not too worried about it overall. they have to not only survive being preserved and then start up again but they also have to cross the many hurdles that the environment and competition set up. even if the microbe can get through all those barriers then they also have to infect or be spread and then that creature must fail to ward it off to where the microbe survives long enough to be carried someplace else and then again even after getting someplace else it has to survive all those new hurdles all over again. yes, possible, but i will be surprised if it is common.

what will make it more likely is destroyed environments which open up a lot of niches and also humans transporting them (accidentally or intentionally). like there's a good chance that many people who travel to the tundra and walk around doing whatever would be transporting some of these microbes around and it would be a good idea for everyone to practice biocontainment washes, but chances are that no casual traveler is going to do this.

thank the sun for pretty much degrading most of these sorts of things.

a little wet around here but not too bad since the rains stopped and the temperatures have not gotten too high too fast.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
This atmospheric river this weekend (below you, Branching Out) is supposed to bring maybe 3" here too. One of the few times I'm glad I'm not on the flat lands.
Hi Rhodie :frow . Good to know you are safe

Same here. We're on a hill, the biggest problem we could have had was with the winds but luckily no damage up these parts.

We had one day of sun after the rain and winds, yesterday and today is just been grey skies.
Oddly enough I've noticed a lot of different bugs around, lots of flies god knows where they have come from

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Season.of.mud.
Back to normal winter for us, high's in the upper 30's, lower 40's, some days dip below freezing, some don't.
Mud Everywhere that an animal or person has trod.
Several weeks of rain/fog--That is rather new, the days of fog.
I am Thoroughly enjoying my new heated blanket!!
I just love my rechargeable hot water bottle. It's the best boyfriend I've ever had. ;)

Latest posts