Your Weather, 2024

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
-8f and snowing hard, at this rate we’ll have 6-8 inches in the morning, adding to our 87 inch accumulation for the season. Supposedly it’s the most snow since they started keeping record’s AND it’s not even February yet. We still have 3 months of high probability for some more!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm trying to remember if it has snowed here at such a cold as -8f (-22C). I'm pretty sure that it has ... but it would have been a very light snowfall. You are close to that huge expanse of Pacific open water and the physics of moisture and cold air.

-8f and snowing hard, at this rate we’ll have 6-8 inches in the morning, adding to our 87 inch accumulation for the season. Supposedly it’s the most snow since they started keeping record’s AND it’s not even February yet. We still have 3 months of high probability for some more!
We are once again losing all the snow in my neighborhood that wasn't piled up previous to this warmth. This is a good day for a new record high. The record is 53f (12C) – the prediction for this afternoon. I was surprised to see that the record snow depth for the date was set in 1970. Nothing like for an Alaska location but substantial 😉. Well, I was here in January 1970 (and trying to remember). It means that we had TWO record-setting Winters in a row with many records already set in 1968/69. It also means that my first two Winters here were rather severe. So, I was introduced to a climate 800 miles further north than where I grew up in a rather severe way. It was probably best. "Mild" "Severe" all a matter of history/perspective.

BTW I am encouraged to learn that our snowcover, several thousand feet higher than my neighborhood, is sufficient to hold the recent rain and with limited melting sooo far. That adds to the chances of normal "stream flow" and a charged aquifer as we move into 19 ... I mean 2024!! You know when you are old when records that you have experienced fall around you (as you try to stay on your feet :D).

Steve

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I can’t say i remember this much snow during minus temps, however it did warm up last night but there are no numbers to describe the raise as it’s still Zero!

It must have quit shortly after our going to bed as there’s that 6-8 inches i mentioned and that’s all. Thankfully.

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
There were dozens of high temperature records shattered in B.C. yesterday, and it wasn't even a sunny day. It was cloudy all day. One hour's drive from our place hit 18.2C (65F). I was able to spend three hours outdoors in the balmy weather-- but all of the snow is melting from the local ski hills. That snow is also supposed to become our drinking water come summer. 🤨

Then this morning it was overcast again, and when I looked at the thermometer and it was 15C(59F)-- at 10:30am!! So all of the tomatoes, pansies, phlox, and lettuce that I was germinating got moved outdoors to the sundeck (under cover of a sail shade, so filtered light). A few trays that were in a spare bedroom under lights were starting to develop mildew, so exposure to some fresh air will likely help with that. Even the Lisianthus seeds are getting a fieldtrip outdoors. It's still January. This is madness.

Attachments

• IMG_20240130_104054341.jpg
    IMG_20240130_104054341.jpg
    264 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20240130_103456240.jpg
    IMG_20240130_103456240.jpg
    322.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20240130_104016527.jpg
    IMG_20240130_104016527.jpg
    283.7 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I hear you @ducks4you, i like to think we’re more prepared than most sane people. Sometimes i feel guilty when we’re that “island of light” as i have 3 families with small kids in the culdisac.

@flowerbug, this is my fireplace which i built before Y2K! Since then i’ve fired it less than a dozen times but it’s more than capable for anything id need.
That fireplace is amazing! Great work! 👍

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks, in Alaska it’s part of the mix; wood stove, generator and something to plow with!

It’s minus 20F this morning with calls for similar temps thru the weekend, some as low as -27f! It looks like we might get a break next week. Time will tell?

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks, in Alaska it’s part of the mix; wood stove, generator and something to plow with!

It’s minus 20F this morning with calls for similar temps thru the weekend, some as low as -27f! It looks like we might get a break next week. Time will tell?
That's about the coldest I can remember it getting here. Which if I recall, was just after the Arbor Day Foundation (and several others) had put out new climate maps claiming my winter hardiness zone had gotten warmer. :rolleyes: The witch of winter does not suffer fools gladly.

This extended warm spell might trigger some fruit trees into a false spring, so as crazy as it sounds, we could use a little of your cold here. I'm sure that falls into "be careful what you wish for" territory, and the cold WILL come. Plenty of Winter left yet, and my teeter-totter theory of meteorology predicts that big warm spells are usually countered my equally intense cold spells.

Latest posts