$1,000 Christmas Tree

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I have a small christmas tree farm right across the street from me.It is only open weekends from Thanksgiving till Christmas eve. When owner first bought,it was a horse farm, horses were a lot of work and money. In order to keep the low farm taxes they went from horses to christmas trees.
I suspect that they didn't know how to train those horses AND didn't know that we horsepeople are always "horsepoor". When I ran my small riding academy, my income covered most of my costs Most of the time, but not always. I was audited bc my business was in the horse industry and there has always been fraud, according to my IRS Auditor. (I passed my audit with flying colors, btw.)
ALSO, I don't take month long farmer vacations to FL bc my animals need care in the worst blizzards and cold snaps. The trees do fine in January without daily care. Horses are a labor of love. My horses DO thank me and are very affectionate, and THAT's my payback...along with the rides!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I do have a future Christmas tree growing along the south side of my garage. It was so small that I didn't want to prune it this year, but next year I'm moving it and will be doing the "bonzai" style of micro trimming! :gig

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
In my front yard is a giant pine tree. I always had the fantasy of covering the tree in Xmas lights. Because it would have cost a couple of thousand to do it remained a fantasy. A couple of years ago I came up with idea of having a giant lighted star put on top of tree. I found a 6 foot lighted star and placed a ad on CL. Looking for half man half monkey to clime my tree, pays cash job at own risk. Being Dec lots of people where looking to make extra money for Christmas, I had over 100 reposes For some reason many men thought I was a woman looking for sex partner :lol::lol:. I ended up hiring a young guy who worked for a tree company. It did not go the way I envisioned; star was only placed a 3rd of way from top. Trunk became to thin to support his weight. After about a week something happened star stopped lighting.:he:he

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Now you can just get one of those twinkly lights thingies that just cast the light display on your tree, NY. Should be cheaper and safer. :D

We had Christmas trees when I was growing up and just a few when I was raising my own children...if they were cut trees, we just went out in the forest and got one. If a regular one from a tree farm we always bought it live so we could plant it afterwards. Still no more expensive than $30 for a 6 ft. tall tree.

Thankfully, now we don't do such things so no money or fuss expended at this time of year. It feels good! :celebrate

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I feel a little guilty not having any Christmas display. I don't suppose the little kids in the neighborhood even look in this direction during December. No grandchildren at this little old house ...

There are lots of kids nearby right now. Of course, there is also an elementary school a few blocks away so they are always around like bees to the hive.

I should see what decorations are in the basement. No light along the roofline anymore! Those are 5 times more trouble to take down in January than put up in December!

Steve

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
One year I cut out a tree from green wrapping paper and taped it to the wall. I gave my toddler grand daughter scissors and construction paper. What ever shapes she cut out, I called "ornaments" and we taped them to the tree! :lol:

Latest posts