15 pounds = 8 quarts

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It looks great! Kraut is one of those things that you either like it, or you don't. Unfortunately, I don't. Dew makes it on New Years Eve, but most years, I pass.
I wasn't eating kraut when I met Dew, so I guess I'm just naturally lucky ;)

seedcrazy

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I do it by the jar and technically when finished it should just be stored in the fridge I was told because if you water bath it, it kills the fermentation (I don't know, just saying what I was told). I take 5 pounds of shredded cabbage and layer 3 1/2 Tablespoons of canning salt and then smash it really good to release the juice (you want a good juicy head, fresh picked that morning and preferably it rained the night before LOL). I cover and let it sit, go back and pound it some more, I do this 4 or 5 times, then I pack it into quart jars (I got 3 quarts), pour the juice over them and if its not enough to cover you can add some hot spring or purified water, seal and let sit around 70 degrees. I keep a check on them as someones they ooze over (I put my jars in a pie plate to catch overflow) and keep tasting until its the way I like it.