$150,000 Antique Found in dumpster

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
YEP ;) That is where our Oak pedestal DR table came from. Also the large wardrobe I use to store craft supplies in my spare room. And cabinets in husbands work shop came from a remodel at a clinic. DH brings home all kinds of building supplies he gets from dumpsters on job sites. Crazy what good lumber, gutters, wiring, etc. get tossed instead of trucked off the work site. :( Still nothing worth $150,000 !!!!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
No, but I used to work as a wholesale florist. Our dumpster had flowers!

We had a "regular" guy who I knew for years. He would be by almost every day. I am afraid he didn't take very good care of his health and I watched his slow, downhill route, accelerated by diabetes. I miss him.

Anther person I found at the dumpster is someone I still know. His then wife was the person who instigated their dumpster diving. She was very much one of those artsy-crafty persons who have so much intrigued me over the years.

I visited their home (his home) after they divorced. Her part of the house (the downstairs) was filled with all these charming nick-nacks & artwork. Everything was bright and feminine. His part of the home was upstairs and dang near bare! There was a bed. Mind you, they had divorced several years before. He only had what she'd left.

Steve

jacobsladder

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Not often but I have..My biggest down fall Is when I take my own trash to the dump.. I always seem to find some thing, and flower pots are a big one for me. Oh and my beautiful hosta collection came from a brush pile at the dump.:barnieI just can't help it..:idunnoIm the only one I know at home , that would put faith in a dead plant and bring it to life.:)

Wisher1000

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Jacobsladder - I do that, too! I have rescued several houseplants from the garbage at work. We have large planters in the public areas an they get ripped out and tossed if they don't look good enough to suit the "plant lady." I pull them out and repot them. Once they are healthy and look good again, they often become gifts for co-workers!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
A friend of mine lives in a very unique antique home. All of his decor came from the dump. I heard his cellar is full of stuff waiting for restoration and his wife does not go down there. His home is spectacular. The local dump no longer allows people to go through the garbage.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
You bet I do! I have a dumpster as part of my business... not sure if I would have the guts to do it, if it was on someones property, other than my own. I have made lots of money from dumpster finds- but no where near 150,000! I saw that show too- called DD right away to tell her!

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have no problem grabbing stuff I like out of the dumpster - but I don't make a special trip or drive around just for that. I was soooooo mad :somad when our county landfill banned grabbing stuff from the dumpsters at our green box sites. They even staff them now when they're open to MAKE SURE no one is taking things out of the dumpsters. I think it's a ridiculous rule.

jacobsladder

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Wisher1000 , now I don't feel so alone. That's why I bring home the flower pots . As far as the dump I'm sure its because of people getting hurt or suing .Another case of a few ruining it for the many. So many things go to the dumps every day , that some one else could use, not every one recycles in the form of.....YARD SALES:celebrate:weeeor donations,,many don' have the time , or the patients .Hey I grew up on hand me downs and other peoples used stuff. I'm not proud. :plbb

Mary J

Latest posts