1st Pet

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
There have been some very remarkable attitudes on the subject of hijacking TEG threads but I won't remark on them. NyBoy's attitude is commendable, however.

My first pet was a chicken my grandmother gave me. Warped my personality from the age of 4! She was a Golden Sebright bantam and I can remember my grandmother saying that see didn't know why the little hen didn't have barring.

She was pure gold and my grandmother was a Gold. That was my grandfather's family name. He had passed away by then and she had moved back to the the States from Canada. Grandma's friends and neighbors called her Goldie ... after we moved (with my chicken ;)) from my grandmother's home --- of course, I called the little hen Goldie. She lived for many years and, in time, we had Black Cochin bantams to keep her company.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
My latest birds are East Indie ducks so glad they are a outside pet talk about messy. Their lucky they are so pretty

:) i hope you are having a grand old time with them! where are they at now? do they know to come say hi when you are around? give them treats?

i love all animals, would like to live in a jungle instead of the great white north, but here i am. with birds, especially the bigger ones it is a major commitment and i hope that anyone who has/wants one knows what they are getting into. i hate to see abandoned pets happen later. birds bond strongly. i'm pretty sure one of the birds that my friends kept was pretty much insane due to being given away and that was what made it attack everyone without warning (so similar to bi-polar swings i've seen happen). after a few rounds of $400 vet bills they also got rid of that poor animal.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Our "feral" barn cat (the only one dumb enough to not figure out how nice the house is, inCLUDING her litter mate) killed a rabbit almost as big as her maybe 7 lb body. I came upon it without the head, too, to feed the litter she had at the time. They are just like their large cousins, hunt hard, eat slow, digest for hours.
Back to the topic. That was really nice of you!! Don't be surprised if he keeps this bird for it's entire life. I believe that the only thing wrong with dogs is that they have such short lives.
Btw, my first pet was a blue and white parakeet, and I named him "Michael." Our dog belonged to everybody.