1st try at dehydrated tomatoes

mythreesons

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Thank you for showing us.

For the first time I'm going to do the same..I'm going to grind them into tomato powder and you use as thickener plus add a tomato flavor to my soups and stews..

I need to check and see if I could use them for sun dried tomato's and put them in olive oil.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have put them on salads and I have ground into powder and add for flavoring. The Excalibur book has recipes. I am going to try the Dried Tomato Soup Base soon. If I like it then I will dehydrate more tomatoes soon. I should do this today.

Tomato Sauce with Dried Tomatoes
3 T olive oil
5 large cloves of garlic chopped
1/2 red onion chopped
1 lb Italian tomatoes peeled and chopped
1-/4 to 1-1/2 cups chopped dried tomatoes
3/4 cup chicken broth
1/4 tsp salt or to taste
1/4 tsp black pepper or to taste
3 T chopped fresh basil leaves
1 -1 2 oz package of fresh pasta
Heat oil in large pan over medium - high heat until hot. Add garlic and onion and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and dried tomatoes, and cook for another 3 minutes. Add chicken broth, salt and pepper.

Dried Tomato Seasoning
20 slices dried tomatoes
1 tsp pepper corns
1 tsp dried allspice
1 T dried thyme
Salt if desired.

Place tomatoes in freezer for about 5 minutes until somewhat brittle (which my dehydrated ones are brittle). Crumble and place tomatoes in blender, coffee or herb grinder along with other ingredients. Process to a powder. Use with salt and pepper. Other herbs may be added..dd

Tomato Paste
1 cup dried tomato powder
1-3/4 cups water
1/2 tsp. sugar

Tomato Sauce
3 cups water
1/2 tsp sugar

Tomato Juice which the recipe is the same they have for Tomato Soup. I am not sure if this is a mistake in the book for tomato juice.
3/4 cup water
1/2 cup dry milk
Season to taste

Dried Tomato Soup Base
20-25 dried tomatoes
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 clove garlic chopped
1 green onion chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
Red chili pepper flakes to taste
Combine all ingredients into pot. Bring to a boil. Simmer about 1 minute. Vegetables, paste, etc. may be added to make a variety of soups. Serves 1 person. Multiply the ingredients by number of people to serve.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have put them on salads and I have ground into powder and add for flavoring. The Excalibur book has recipes. I am going to try the Dried Tomato Soup Base soon. If I like it then I will dehydrate more tomatoes soon. I should do this today.

Tomato Sauce with Dried Tomatoes
3 T olive oil
5 large cloves of garlic chopped
1/2 red onion chopped
1 lb Italian tomatoes peeled and chopped
1-/4 to 1-1/2 cups chopped dried tomatoes
3/4 cup chicken broth
1/4 tsp salt or to taste
1/4 tsp black pepper or to taste
3 T chopped fresh basil leaves
1 -1 2 oz package of fresh pasta
Heat oil in large pan over medium - high heat until hot. Add garlic and onion and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and dried tomatoes, and cook for another 3 minutes. Add chicken broth, salt and pepper.

Dried Tomato Seasoning
20 slices dried tomatoes
1 tsp pepper corns
1 tsp dried allspice
1 T dried thyme
Salt if desired.

Place tomatoes in freezer for about 5 minutes until somewhat brittle (which my dehydrated ones are brittle). Crumble and place tomatoes in blender, coffee or herb grinder along with other ingredients. Process to a powder. Use with salt and pepper. Other herbs may be added..dd

Tomato Paste
1-3/4 cups water
1/2 tsp. sugar

Tomato Sauce
3 cups water
1/2 tsp sugar

Tomato Juice which the recipe is the same they have for Tomato Soup. I am not sure if this is a mistake in the book for tomato juice.
3/4 cup water
1/2 cup dry milk
Season to taste

Dried Tomato Soup Base
20-25 dried tomatoes
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 clove garlic chopped
1 green onion chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
Red chili pepper flakes to taste
Combine all ingredients into pot. Bring to a boil. Simmer about 1 minute. Vegetables, paste, etc. may be added to make a variety of soups. Serves 1 person. Multiply the ingredients by number of people to serve.
THANK YOU so Much! Now I feel better about drying more and confident that I will find a way to use them. :)

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just kind of made things up. I put some dehydrated tomatoes, dehydrated squash, dehydrated peppers in some water and started cooking. Smelled really good and had a rich tomato red color and flavor. I cooked some hamburger meat and added seasoning, some dehydrated tomato powder, frozen corn, green beans and peas, and cut some potatoes up. It was really good, but decided not enough liquid, so added water, which watered it down, so added fresh tomatoes chopped in Vitamix and shredded a fresh squash. Everybody liked it. Had the soup and cornbread for supper. All the dehydrated stuff is from 2014, so 2 years old and still fresh. These are just kept in canning jars, nothing done but put a lid on and I open and close and use as needed. While looking for things to put in soup, I found 2 half gallon jars of shredded potatoes that was dehydrated in 2014 and we will be having those for breakfast. They smell just like they did when I put them in the jar and look the same.