1st try at dehydrated tomatoes

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Smart Red I'm with you n store bought tomatoes. Color me a tomato snob--don't eat store bought tomatoes-unless in can.

mythreesons

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I have put them on salads and I have ground into powder and add for flavoring. The Excalibur book has recipes. I am going to try the Dried Tomato Soup Base soon. If I like it then I will dehydrate more tomatoes soon. I should do this today.

Tomato Sauce with Dried Tomatoes
3 T olive oil
5 large cloves of garlic chopped
1/2 red onion chopped
1 lb Italian tomatoes peeled and chopped
1-/4 to 1-1/2 cups chopped dried tomatoes
3/4 cup chicken broth
1/4 tsp salt or to taste
1/4 tsp black pepper or to taste
3 T chopped fresh basil leaves
1 -1 2 oz package of fresh pasta
Heat oil in large pan over medium - high heat until hot. Add garlic and onion and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and dried tomatoes, and cook for another 3 minutes. Add chicken broth, salt and pepper.

Dried Tomato Seasoning
20 slices dried tomatoes
1 tsp pepper corns
1 tsp dried allspice
1 T dried thyme
Salt if desired.

Place tomatoes in freezer for about 5 minutes until somewhat brittle (which my dehydrated ones are brittle). Crumble and place tomatoes in blender, coffee or herb grinder along with other ingredients. Process to a powder. Use with salt and pepper. Other herbs may be added..dd

Tomato Paste
1 cup dried tomato powder
1-3/4 cups water
1/2 tsp. sugar

Tomato Sauce
3 cups water
1/2 tsp sugar

Tomato Juice which the recipe is the same they have for Tomato Soup. I am not sure if this is a mistake in the book for tomato juice.
3/4 cup water
1/2 cup dry milk
Season to taste

Dried Tomato Soup Base
20-25 dried tomatoes
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 clove garlic chopped
1 green onion chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
Red chili pepper flakes to taste
Combine all ingredients into pot. Bring to a boil. Simmer about 1 minute. Vegetables, paste, etc. may be added to make a variety of soups. Serves 1 person. Multiply the ingredients by number of people to serve.
Thank you so much!

I will be writing this down to put in my Homesteading Book.

My dad's girlfriend gave me #10 cans of diced tomatoes and I dehydrated them..she also gave me #10 cans of tomato sauce unseasoned have any ideas what to do with it to preserve it? I was thinking of adding seasoning and canning I can I do that? Thanks, Brenda

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
mythreesons, I was wondering if you can freeze that tomato sauce. I know I freeze tomato paste when I open a can and it's too much to use the whole thing. I put it in 1 tablespoon increments in foil squares, then put those in a ziplock bag.

Mary

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
If in cans, why dry them? Open cans when you need to use them. I'm easily confused.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
@seedcorn, The #10 can is BIG, I do not think she will be using it all at once and wants to store the excess in manageable amounts.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thank you so much!

I will be writing this down to put in my Homesteading Book.

My dad's girlfriend gave me #10 cans of diced tomatoes and I dehydrated them..she also gave me #10 cans of tomato sauce unseasoned have any ideas what to do with it to preserve it? I was thinking of adding seasoning and canning I can I do that? Thanks, Brenda

You can dry that too if you use parchment paper. Or can it, my personal favorite....here's a really flavorful tomato soup recipe for canning that I tried for the first time this year. I LOVE it!

http://www.food.com/recipe/moms-best-tomato-soup-canning-recipe-44058

Latest posts