2 Feet of Snow and I Bought Peonies

SweetMissDaisy

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I NEED a peony! That was one of my favorites in my gramma's flower gardens, and of course I must have my own. I also need to find some iris... I also loved her purple clematis, so I picked up a couple roots yesterday when I spotted them in a local shop display... Supposed to be in the low 60s next week, but do I dare put them in the ground so soon?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I NEED a peony! That was one of my favorites in my gramma's flower gardens, and of course I must have my own. I also need to find some iris... I also loved her purple clematis, so I picked up a couple roots yesterday when I spotted them in a local shop display... Supposed to be in the low 60s next week, but do I dare put them in the ground so soon?[/QUOTE]

As long as they are still dormant and your ground is not frozen at the depth you want to plant you can. If they start poking up (the clems) while we are in danger of deep freezing at night I would cover them to be safe.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I NEED a peony! That was one of my favorites in my gramma's flower gardens, and of course I must have my own. I also need to find some iris... I also loved her purple clematis, so I picked up a couple roots yesterday when I spotted them in a local shop display... Supposed to be in the low 60s next week, but do I dare put them in the ground so soon?
I do not know your climate. If your are in spring you should be able to plant them. They are winter hardy but do you have a real winter like us north easterners?

SweetMissDaisy

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well, let's see..... the black pussy willow and aspen trees in the neighbors yard are loaded w/ fuzzy buds! But ground is still frozen in heavily shaded areas. We're supposed to have a slew of high 50s and even some low 60s temps, so maybe next week I will poke around in the flowerbeds and see how things are looking... Weeee!!! :)

Jeni Ann

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I planted a coral color one last summer. It struggled and was almost gone by frost. I wonder if it survived the winter. I sure hope so. Glad to hear you still have a glimmer of hope to see green growing SPRING again!
I also have a Coral Peony - thanks Carol Dee:hugs- I sure hope mine survived, but it was looking awfully weak by late fall.
This time of year I really start to wonder what made it and what isn't going to show up in the garden come spring :fl.

Latest posts