2 pics of weeds or plants?

chills

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
i was wondering if anyone knew what these guys are .. i kind of think just weeds, but then maybe one of the many seeds ive thrown out there actually took?
this little guy is soooo soft and fuzzy .. short to the ground, no color yet

6271_what_am_i.jpg

this one is grabbing on to a string climbing my porch post and will also just make his way anywhere he wants along the ground .. very pretty with small purple flowers, and then these seed pods, but the pods are not where the flowers were .. the greenery reminds me of ferns and christmas trees

6271_what_am_i_too.jpg
6271_what_am_i_too_2.jpg

thank you

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The first one reminds me of some of the hawkweeds but as you are in California there are probalby a zillion other things it could be instead, and probably *is*.

The second looks like cow vetch (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vicia_cracca) although there are some other vetches that are similar, such as hairy vetch. It is horrible to try to mow through a dense stand of it; but it is pretty, and fixes nitrogen. Yours may be a differnet species but I would bet it is SOME kind of vetch.

Pat

chills

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
patandchickens, thanks for the info on the vetch, based on that link i'd say i have one of the 140 different vetchs out there .. i could of swore my friend said that the seeds were sweet peas ..
the other fuzzy plant, still no color but it keeps growing ..

beefy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
the first one looks like some seeds i got from the dollar store. i dont remember what they were but they look sort of like gillardia or blanketflowers--but all mine died b/.c they got too dry.

the second one looks like vetch.

beefy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
edit: the ones i planted from the dollar general that looked just like were actually Rudbeckia "Gloriosa Daisy"

is that one you planted?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was thinking maybe batchelor's buttons for the first pic, but I am not sure the size in the picture.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The first one is a weed... go look for the 'mystery' plant post from last winter... it is soooooooooooo the same thing!

chills

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
beefy the Rudbeckia "Gloriosa Daisy" isnt one i planted on purpose, but i have been known to buy the mixed seed packages in hopes of something .. anything taking .. im just going to let him be and hope he gives some color, i cant get over how soft it is ..
journey11 batchelor's buttons .. i wonder if it is that, im sure that is included in the mixed seed package .. i would love it to be that! ..
thanks for the info guys ..
i'll just keep waiting to see ..........

chills

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
vfem "I killed it, it made me made and I needed the pot!!! lol"
to funny .. man i was holding out some kind of hope i got a seed to take .. well sometimes the weeds will give color and flowers eh?
its not taking up space, i moved a rock out of the way, so we'll see .. it has grown since that photo, into 3 separate plants (weeds) and gotten fuller .. ??
still watching and waiting ...........
thank you too.

Latest posts