2011 TEG Giant Pumpkin Contest - JOIN US BY AUGUST 1ST!!

SuperChemicalGirl

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Hi TEGs... seems like a few of us are trying to grow big pumpkins this year. Someone had mentioned a friendly contest to see who could get the biggest pumpkin... so I'm starting a thread.

Hopefully we can get some friendly competition going on. If there's enough interest and participation I'll even try to throw in some prizes (and rules).

I'd also like to think of this as a gardening experiment... if you participate and wouldn't mind telling us how you prepared the bed, how you fertilized, etc that would be great.

Just so you know, I've been trying to grow big pumpkins for a few years now, and I've been most unsuccessful. I would not mimic my actions if I were you.

Rules:
To participate in the contest/prizes you'll need to join this thread by 1 August 2011. If you want to join after that date, you're welcome to but you will not be eligible for any prizes.

The end by date for this contest is 15 October 2011.

One entry per person. The pumpkin must be grown by YOU, or you and a group (like your family). But YOU must be involved directly in the care of the pumpkin.

You can use any method you please for growing and fertilizing the pumpkin (with the exception of cheating like filling it with water prior to weighing it). Organic, inorganic, humanure... don't care. You can even use the most evil Monsanto product available if you please.

We're going to need periodic pictures of the growth of your pumpkins and the final product. I may ask at the end that everyone take a picture of their pumpkin next to a common household item.

You are going to need some way to weigh your pumpkin and show us the results. You can do this on your bathroom scale (if you grow "huge" pumpkins like mine, they fit, haha), you can take it to your fair and have it weighed (with picture)...

We will also need measurements of your pumpkin, and can accept these in lieu of weight if you absolutely cannot get it weighed. We can estimate the weight.

I will have some prizes available for the contest. Just not sure at this point what they are or what they're for. But really, we're not in this for the prizes, are we?

2011 TEG Giant Pumpkin Contest Participants:
SuperChemicalGirl (growing Burpee Prizewinner Hybrid and Dill's Atlantic Giant) 22.8 lbs
stepstephens2 (Atlantic Giant?) 15.8 lbs
nachoqtpie
Cats Critters and Garden (rouge vif d'etampes, Ct Field, Volunteers) 6.5 lbs
gardentoad (Concrete Garden)
ShortCircuitRanch2332
Jared77 (Atlantic Giant)
ShowMe31
Mis3836
chris09 (Atlantic Giant)
HunkieDorie23
nachoqtpie
Merelyatheory
bearmanz400 made compost out of pumpkin plants
Greenthumb18
wifezilla 28 lb (blue hubbard) ***WINNER***

Other Weigh Ins:
digitS' 17.5 lbs (RockStar)

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sounds like fun, but I'll just be a spectator. :) I'm growing small pumpkins...N.E. Sugar Pie and Galeux dEysines (warty pumpkins).

SuperChemicalGirl

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Considering what I normally end up growing as a "giant pumpkin" you might win if there's a lack of participants! :)

I really want to grow the Galeux dEysines next year too. I planted 9 different types of pumpkins this year... and I really don't have the room... but I just can't help myself. I am in love with curcurbits.

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I grow small ones too. Now if there was a contest for biggest pumpkin LEAF! holy cow! I have one out there I could almost use as an umbrella!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I guess I actually have to get a seed in the ground first?! LOL

I may join in, but it wouldn't be anything too special starting so late.

SuperChemicalGirl

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
vfem said:
I guess I actually have to get a seed in the ground first?! LOL

I may join in, but it wouldn't be anything too special starting so late.
Puhleez... I'm in MAINE. This is what my garden looked like 2 weeks ago:
6992_258565_182370255150877_100001337108712_449092_5394188_o.jpg

And this is what my "giant" pumpkin looks like now:
6992_257313_185191214868781_100001337108712_462097_541114_o.jpg

Get your seeds in the ground! You can be a contender!

stepstephens2

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Oh, I want to try! I know I won't win, but it sounds like a lot of fun! This will be the 4th year I'm growing pumpkins, but I'm not that great. The first year I grew them I tried to grow like 100 of them because I wanted to have my own pumpkin patch for Halloween and sell them. I bought 4 different kinds of seeds. They all died and I had to buy my Halloween pumpkins from somewhere else. The next year one of those pumpkins was still around in Feb. and in a fit of hilarity I smashed it open in my front garden and let it rot where it lay. I harvested like 15 average size pumpkins that year from that mess... and a few were stolen off some of the vines that had made their way out the front gate. I decided that maybe I COULD grow pumpkins, I just needed to be more conservative in how many. Last year I got a packet of 5 giant pumpkin seeds (Dill's Atlantic?) and gave them all the conditions they supposedly love. I got 2 vines and one viable pumpkin the size of an extra-large microwave. It wasn't as big as I dreamed, but it did take 2 people to lift it into the wheelbarrow. This year I made 2 hills and divided the seed I saved from that pumpkin between them. I just announced to my mother-in-law last week that I had decided I didn't care about what the pumpkins did this year. But... maybe I care a little, because I when I saw this thread I rushed out to take some pictures of some of the baby pumpkins.:p
8005_004.jpg

8005_005.jpg

SuperChemicalGirl

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
stepstephens2 said:
Oh, I want to try! I know I won't win, but it sounds like a lot of fun! This will be the 4th year I'm growing pumpkins, but I'm not that great. The first year I grew them I tried to grow like 100 of them because I wanted to have my own pumpkin patch for Halloween and sell them. I bought 4 different kinds of seeds. They all died and I had to buy my Halloween pumpkins from somewhere else. The next year one of those pumpkins was still around in Feb. and in a fit of hilarity I smashed it open in my front garden and let it rot where it lay. I harvested like 15 average size pumpkins that year from that mess... and a few were stolen off some of the vines that had made their way out the front gate. I decided that maybe I COULD grow pumpkins, I just needed to be more conservative in how many. Last year I got a packet of 5 giant pumpkin seeds (Dill's Atlantic?) and gave them all the conditions they supposedly love. I got 2 vines and one viable pumpkin the size of an extra-large microwave. It wasn't as big as I dreamed, but it did take 2 people to lift it into the wheelbarrow. This year I made 2 hills and divided the seed I saved from that pumpkin between them. I just announced to my mother-in-law last week that I had decided I didn't care about what the pumpkins did this year. But... maybe I care a little, because I when I saw this thread I rushed out to take some pictures of some of the baby pumpkins.:p
http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/uploads/8005_004.jpg

http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/uploads/8005_005.jpg
So glad you could join! Can I ask where you're located?

Your pumpkins already look pretty good and they're already bigger than what I got last year!

I wish it would stop raining here. We got a nice day on Monday and my pumpkin plants really grew. Then it became cloudy and rainy again. :sick

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I guess I could join in as well... we have a couple vines... they're my sons! :p

We don't have any pumpkins yet... but I've noticed some lil nubs waiting to bloom! Maybe we will get some pumpkins after all! :D

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
stepstephens2 said:
http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/uploads/8005_004.jpg

http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/uploads/8005_005.jpg
Ooooh, are you growing fennel with your pumpkins?! :)

Latest posts