2011 TEG Giant Pumpkin Contest - JOIN US BY AUGUST 1ST!!

ShortCircuitRanch2332

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Well count me in lol I am already trying to grow HUGE! pumpkins lol although I prolly won't be greatly successful I will still try lol I'm growing jack-O-lanterns and A plant that's is supposed to grow giant pumpkins lol I can't remember the name of it tho but this sounds like fun and im in :) also good luck to all competitors

SuperChemicalGirl

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
ShortCircuitRanch2332 said:
Well count me in lol I am already trying to grow HUGE! pumpkins lol although I prolly won't be greatly successful I will still try lol I'm growing jack-O-lanterns and A plant that's is supposed to grow giant pumpkins lol I can't remember the name of it tho but this sounds like fun and im in :) also good luck to all competitors
Welcome, I've added your name to the list.

ShortCircuitRanch2332

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
ok thanks so much :)
and just curious are there any rules? I do mine all natural I dont buy any fertilizers or hormones I use natural fertilizer that I make and i have never tested ph and stuff haha I kinda just play it by ear, the way my grandpa did this is my first time doing pumpkin in quiet a while tho and I will do my best to get pics up asap im also interested to hear everyone Else's techniques

SuperChemicalGirl

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I think we're going to be short on rules this year.

We're going to need a sign up date to be able to participate in this threads contest(s). August 1st?

The pumpkin must be grown by YOU, or you and a group (like your family). But YOU must be involved directly in the care of the pumpkin.

You can use any method you please for growing and fertilizing the pumpkin (with the exception of cheating like filling it with water prior to weighing it).

We're going to need pictures of the growth of your pumpkins and the final product. I may ask at the end that everyone take a picture of their pumpkin next to a common household item.

We're going to need an "end by date" that we can all agree on. I don't want to be doing this any later than Halloween. (sorry for those of you in climates that are conducive to year round growing). Last Halloween I was shoveling snow. So I'm going to be bitter about it.

One entry per person.

You are going to need some way to weigh your pumpkin and show us the results. You can do this on your bathroom scale (if you grow "huge" pumpkins like mine, they fit, haha), you can take it to your fair and have it weighed (with picture)...

We will also need measurements of your pumpkin, and can accept these in lieu of weight if you absolutely cannot get it weighed. We can estimate the weight.

I will have some prizes available for the contest. Just not sure at this point what they are or what they're for. But really, we're not in this for the prizes, are we?

Questions, comments?

ShortCircuitRanch2332

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
alright that is acceptable to me but I may only be able to weigh mine on the wii scale haha as that is all my gf has, and I dont have one
prizes? I didnt even have that in mind on a forum contest :) but thats cool
I would say october 31 for end? also I agree on august 1st, ive never done this and my pumpkins are usually always picked my halloween does a pumpkin plant live longer than halloween? HAHA
and I'll be putting pics up within the hour I don't have a glorious patch its humble but that's due to the kangaroo rats eating my seeds and sprouts

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Count me in!

I've got a handful of carving pumpkins (I forgot the type Id have to check my notes but they are supposed to make good Jack-O-Lanterns) I think 6, and I've one of Atlantic pumpkins so hopefully I'll get a BIG ONE!! The started 2 but one was VERY slow to germinate and I culled it. It never looked right, so I didn't want to take a chance with it given how much room pumpkins want. I replaced it with another carving pumpkin that was extra from my starts.

I've got the first blooms on my pumpkins 2 days ago and they are doing good. This is my first year trying to grow a big one, with the goal of having a pumpkin big enough for my 3 y.o. daughter to climb into and be able to close the lid with her inside. That's always been my goal when I ordered them. I normally just grow Jack-O-Lantern types for my daughter and the nieces and nephews to come pick in the fall to carve for Halloween but this year my daughter was old enough to understand the size difference and be able to appreciate a big pumpkin so I figured why not give it a go. It always as amazes me when I stop and look back on what my daughter inspires me to do.

This is a new garden that I put my pumpkins in. Before that it was just grass/clover mix. Ground was first turned over last fall. Then returned over this spring with a bunch of compost added and ran the disc through it a few times to help work it in. That's all I did for garden prep. Guess well see how it all plays out.

Few things I did this year specifically to try to get a big pumpkin:

1) I started both my carving and big pumpkins in peat pots about a month early. I figured Id try it since I had extra seeds so if they failed Id start over and direct sow them. I used a solid bottomed tray and watered anytime the pot itself was dry. I used a 3" peat pot for each plant to give it room since I read that pumpkins have shallow root systems that spread out like their vines. The solid bottom tray worked wonders to help wick water up the peat pot and was absorbed into the seed starter keeping the seeds moist. My pumpkins came roaring up out of them when they germinated. When I planted them I tore off the pot down to the soil line inside the pot and planted it. When I dug the hole to plant it, I dug it about extra 1/2" down and planted the whole thing. I tore the excess off the pot and planted it just a touch deeper to help make sure the pot would be fully covered when it was all said and done to help to keep it moist and not dry out. So far its so good. When they got into the ground they all had had at least 3 or 4 leaves and one had 6. When I do it again next year Ill do the same thing, but start the big ones even earlier since I had such good luck transplanting these ones. I do think that the steps I took with the peat pots have helped with the transition into the garden no doubt about it.

2) I placed an inverted 2L bottle with the bottom cut off and the spout down into the ground like a funnel at my big pumpkin. When I water, I only pour into the funnel or outside the leaves of the plant. The idea here was to keep the water off the leaves and the stems, so they'd stay dry but the plant would be well watered/fed. I've also thought to add another bottle as close to the pumpkin itself where the vine roots at to help get nutrients to the pumpkin. I don't know for sure yet, its just an idea I'm kicking around.

3) I feed them weekly with a water soluble fertilizer, sometimes I forget and feed 2x a week. Otherwise its just rain.

4) I plan to measure each big pumpkin that starts and track the fastest growing one for a week or 2 and that will be the one that I keep. The rest will be removed so the plant can focus all its energy on growing that one. (That's a trick I learned on a big pumpkin growing website. Its not about the biggest one for the day, its about the rate of growth over time which makes sense but I hadn't really thought about)

I don't know if my efforts will make a difference or not. I figured it can't hurt. I'm a bit of a mad scientist when it comes to ideas. I'm not afraid to tinker or fail because to me the only failure is when you stop trying. I'm not overly serious about this I'm not going to compete with it, I just want to impress my family and friends with a big pumpkin. If I impress a few folks on TEG then that's just icing on the cake ;)

As far as the rules go, how about the person in the most northern zone set the date for the competition to end? I think SCG you being in Maine might be it too. If its August 1, or Oct 1 etc. whenever your season's done is ok to call the end of the competition. That way we all have the same time in the ground and have a pretty good measuring stick to compare against. Even if the rest of us still have time left, we'll measure and declare a winner then. Anybody who's still growing one past that date Id love to see how they do and keep the thread going but the competition would be over.

I'm not in it for prizes, to me its just like the weekly weigh along. Its just for fun and I really like seeing how other folks do as well.

ShortCircuitRanch2332

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
here's my humble little patch lol
8316_100_3597.jpg

heres my jack-o-lanterns
8316_100_3598.jpg

heres a baby pumpkin from the plant that grows giant pumpkins
8316_100_3599.jpg

and heres a baby jack
8316_100_3600.jpg

hope these are enough for comparison's :coolsun

ShowMe31

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
If my pumpkins are ready in time, I'm in. We put in 2 dozen "giant" pumpkin seeds, 2 dozen lumina seeds and 40 big max seeds. I just got my seeds planted over Fathers Day weekend, so we shall see how that works for the time line. They are looking nice already. We somewhat cheated with the pumpkins this year, we planted them in the spot where we winter the goats. We disked it deeply several times and they seem to be loving it.

We've had off and on luck with them in the past. The first year we planted them on Father's Day weekend we had great luck, but ready too close to Halloween and the rest of the family had already purchased theirs. Then we moved the planting day back to Mid May and they didn't really get going. Then last year drought was our enemy. This year the move was done so that I could utilize all that nice deeply tilled in goat "leavin's" and would be able to water if gets to dry. When I planted this year I had to plant them in muck, I used a pair of hubs pliers to get them into the slop. So far so good.

As you can see I have a ways to go :)

HPIM2755.jpg

SuperChemicalGirl

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Ok I've got you guys "entered" as well, thanks for joining.

Also would like to add that for prizes, unfortunately you need to be in the US (and willing to give me your address if you win). Don't worry, I'm normal (ish).

Latest posts